Ms X/033 online

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 25, 2010
      Ms X/033 is now online!

      http://epub.ub.uni-muenchen.de/10932/
      (Alert: this is a 511 MB PDF!)

      X/033 is a Gospel manuscript of the 10th CE. It is located
      in the university library of Munich. Codex X has a
      comparatively good text in John. It is quite close to 33.
      Note that this is a commentary manuscript, where only the
      Gospel text is in uncial, the commentary is in minuscule.
      Someone added chapter and verse numbers to the text with a
      pencil.
      There is, on the first and the last page, a note from
      Tregelles that he saw the ms in 1846.

      Happy analyzing!

      mailto:wie@...
      http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
      Textcritical Commentary:
    • james_snapp_jr
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 25, 2010
        Wieland,

        Wow; those are really good scans! I haven't had time to look through it in detail, but I did briefly examine the last page of Mark (p. 221). Waltz's description is not quite accurate; the last part of Mark 16:8 is extant.

        X's text of 16:9-20 agrees mainly with Byz but near the end of 16:15 X has EK NEKRWN (agreeing with A, C*, f1, f13, 892, 1241), and at the beginning of 16:18 X has KAI EN TAIS CERSIN.

        Thanks for this announcement, and thanks to the folks who provided the scans, whoever you are!

      • Jeff Cate
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 25, 2010

          Thanks for mentioning this link, Wieland. It might be sizable, but the images are very legible. Codex Monacensis is a fascinating manuscript. I was looking at it on microfilm a couple of years ago at Claremont. It's one of the few manuscripts (along with 983 and 1689) that omits "nor the son" in Mark 13:32 (pdf page 216)... but 033 skips Matthew 24:36-51 (24:35 is on bottom of pdf page 315 and then Mt 25:1 resumes in the middle of pdf page 318) so it gives no evidence for the same omission of "nor the son" in Matthew 24:36.

          Jeff Cate,
          Riverside, CA

          X/033 is a Gospel manuscript of the 10th CE. It is located
          in the university library of Munich. Codex X has a
          comparatively good text in John. It is quite close to 33.
          Note that this is a commentary manuscript, where only the
          Gospel text is in uncial, the commentary is in minuscule.
          Someone added chapter and verse numbers to the text with a
          pencil.
          There is, on the first and the last page, a note from
          Tregelles that he saw the ms in 1846.

          Happy analyzing!

          mailto:wie@uni-bremen. de
          http://www.uni- bremen.de/ ~wie
          Textcritical Commentary:
          http://www.uni- bremen.de/ ~wie/TCG/ index.html

          Small Business Tools
          Find solutions for your business. Click here and get it done now!

        • Kent Clarke
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 26, 2010

            Wieland:

            Thank you for this info and link! These are really nice pictures!

            As more and more of these ms images come online, I’m wondering if it wouldn’t be a worthwhile endeavour to create a centralised web site where something like a “links list” or “links catalogue” could be produced and kept up in an ongoing fashion; and where manuscript numbers and the corresponding online links where images can be located could be recorded. I know several individual web sites do this on a more limited basis (i.e. with the papyri etc). However, it would be profitable, I think, to undertake this more broadly. I know there is always the problem with updating dead links etc, but as many of these will be “institutional sites”, I wonder if this wouldn’t be less difficult.

            Warmly;

            Kent

            Kent D. Clarke (Ph.D. Bristol)

            Brooke Foss Westcott Professorship of New Testament

            Textual Criticism, Greek Studies, and Hermeneutics

            Trinity Western University

            Seal Kap House

            7600 Glover Road

            Langley, British Columbia

            V2Y 1Y1, Canada

            Tel: (604) 513-2121 (Ext. 3116)

            kentc@...

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 27, 2010
              > I’m wondering if it wouldn’t be a worthwhile endeavour to
              > create a centralised web site where something like a
              “links
              > list” or “links catalogue” could be produced and kept up
              in an
              > ongoing fashion

              Yes, such a list would be nice.
              A modern "Kurzgefasste Liste".
              Perhaps the INTF VMR may become such a thing.

              But …

              1. Images come and go. The only way to keep them is to safe
              them on your own hard disk.
              2. Links change. This is a bigger problem than you might
              think at first. Library links change often. It is now the
              third time that I have to fix all the POxy links. :-(

              mailto:wie@...
              http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
              Textcritical Commentary:
            • yennifmit
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 1, 2010
                Hi Wieland,

                I think that the reason the POxy links change occasionally is that the system they use (was Greenstone) regenerates them every time the collection is updated.

                The people responsible for maintaining the site could be asked to implement a system of canonical URIs.

                Best,

                Tim Finney

                Best,

                Tim Finney

                --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Wieland Willker" <wie@...> wrote:

                > > I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a worthwhile endeavour to
                > > create a centralised web site where something like a
                > "links
                > > list" or "links catalogue" could be produced and kept up
                > in an
                > > ongoing fashion
                >

                > Yes, such a list would be nice.
                > A modern "Kurzgefasste Liste".
                > Perhaps the INTF VMR may become such a thing.
                >
                > But …
                >
                > 1. Images come and go. The only way to keep them is to safe
                > them on your own hard disk.
                > 2. Links change. This is a bigger problem than you might
                > think at first. Library links change often. It is now the
                > third time that I have to fix all the POxy links. :-(
                >

                > Best wishes
                >     Wieland
                >        <><
                > Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
                > mailto:wie@...
                > http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
                > Textcritical Commentary:

              • Kent Clarke
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 1, 2010

                  Hi All:

                  You bring up some good points Wieland; but hopefully not an insurmountable proposal.

                  I (and possibly some of my students) would be happy to offer some of my (our) time towards bringing something like this to fruition!

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 3, 2010
                    There are several lacunae in this manuscript; I think it is
                    often one missing page. Sometimes one can get missing text
                    from the commentary which is citing the lemmas often.
                    Sometimes this is labeled with a > sign, but not always.

                    Some examples below:
                    (page numbers are from the PDF)

                    Matthew:
                    =======
                    p. 3 Mt 5:45 cited in comm., note about Gerard Voss at the
                    bottom
                    p. 4 Mt 6:5 cited in comm. with ESESQE WSPER (as f1)
                    p. 5/6 Mt 6:6, 10-11 Mt was originally in front of John, but
                    the binder misplaced Mt and put it at the end. p. 5-6 are
                    remains of the original position.
                    p. 229 Mt 8:13 X has the addition from Lk 7:10.
                    p. 234/5 Mt 9:8 X-txt omits EQAUMASAN KAI, but the
                    commentary has it.
                    p. 277 Mt 16:2-3 omitted
                    p. 290 Mt 19:20 cited in commentary with EK NEOTHTOS MOU
                    p. 302 Mt 21:25 cited in commentary
                    p. 318 Mt 24:48 CRONIZEI MOU O KURIOS is cited in comm.
                    p. 322 Mt 26:65 cited in comm.

                    Mark: (no commentary)
                    ====
                    p. 209 Mk 9:38 X omits the second OTI OUK HKOLOUQEI HMIN
                    (with D, Lat)
                    p. 214 Mk 12:29 hOTI PRWTH PANTWN, singular reading.
                    p. 216 Mk 13:32 X omits OUDE hO UIOS
                    p. 220 X omits 15:28
                    p. 221 Mk 16:14 X omits singularly EGHGERMENON. It adds EK
                    NEKRWN.

                    Luke:
                    ====
                    p. 123 Lk 2:10+14 cited in comm.
                    p. 125 pencil mark! hO DE hAGIOS BASILEIOS ALLWS
                    p. 126 X: The nomen sacrum looks corrected. There is a blot
                    around the K. It is possible that the scribe originally
                    wrote QW instead of KW.
                    p. 131 Lk 4:18 cited in comm.
                    p. 135 5:17 X omits KAI DUNAMIS KURIOU HN for unknown
                    reasons. Suggestions welcome.
                    p. 136 Lk 6:10 X adds EN ORGH.
                    p. 144 Lk 8:15 X has the addition after the verse.
                    p. 148 Lk 9:50 X-txt omits OUK, but the commentary has it
                    p. 168 Lk 14:24 X has the addition a the end of the verse.

                    John:
                    ====
                    p. 31 Jo 6:64 is not extant as text, but the words are
                    quoted in the commentary. There it is omitting MH (with 01,
                    al, vg).
                    p. 32 Jo 6:68 cited.
                    p. 41 PA missing. On top of the page is commentary, which is
                    citing from 7:51 and 7:52, thus no missing pages.
                    p. 90 IGNTP wrongly notes X for the omission of the last KAI
                    (A, D reading). Tischendorf has it right. The word is
                    clearly there.
                    p. 104 Jo 19:14 is cited in the text as "it were the third
                    hour". Several other witnesses read so, too. The commentary
                    has "it were the sixth hour", noting explicitly the
                    difference between Mark and John.

                    mailto:wie@...
                    http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
                    Textcritical Commentary: