Re: [textualcriticism] Ephraemi Rescriptus

  • Bob Relyea Home
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 18, 2010
    • 1 Attachment
    • 9.4 MB
    On 02/17/2010 02:31 AM, Scott-n-July wrote:
    I too would love to find a complete facsimile. Thus far in my search I have only found a half-dozen images. And the Edition by Tischendorf has just the one facsimile, the whole being only a transcription.

    Images here:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/750862/Ephraemi/Ephraemi_Images.zip

    If there is such a facsimile, please share! ;-)
    No one has published a complete facsimile.
    No one has uploaded a copy of Tischendorf's transcription to either internet archive or Google books;(.

    Until the former happens, you can get Tischendor's New Testament transcription here for a price:

    http://kirtasbooks.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=225744&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=3

    This is:

    Tischendorf, C. Codex Ephraemi Syri Rescriptus: sive fragmenta Novi Testamenti e codice Graeco Parisiensi celeberrimo quinti ut videtur post Christum seculi. Leipzig: Bernh. Tauchnitz Jun., 1843.

    (The $2 download option just went live today. $20 for the softback, $30 for the hardback).

    NOTE: there are no plates, this is strictly a transcription, albeit laid out in the same format as the original (a pseudo-facsimile, if you will).

    (Disclaimer: Kirstas provides on demand digitization. One of their options is to "Invest in Knowledge". This means you get a percentage (5%) of the sales of that volume. I've "invested in knowledge" in this volume, so I'll get a wapping ten cents for every download -- with I would gladly forgo if someone with an orgininal copy would upload it to the internet archive;).

    Until then, If you are in a hurry and don't otherwise have access, at least it's not a bank breaking option (until an on-demand book has been digitized, it costs $20 for the down load version!).

    Hansel:

    As John M-Y pointed out, Hansel does indeed have the Codex Ephraemi, as well as several other codecis in parallel columns and "normal" type. It's a pretty handy volume to have, it has pretty much all the well known codecis from that period (W and the papyri aren't included, and the Sinaiticus is only provided as a colation at the end). It also has a third volume:

    http://books.google.com/books?id=jxlVAAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=editions:OCLC3036681#v=onepage&q=&f=false

    It has all the some notes & corrections, the complete colation for the Sinaiticus, and a few facsimile pages in the back (including the Ephraemi Rescriptus). Unfortunately the google book digitizer did not unfold the facsimile pages, to it quite faithfully digitized the blank back sides of the folded pages. Fortunately I was able to get my hands on a copy and was able to photograph the missing facimile pages. Those plates are attached as a pdf.

    Anyway I highly recommend Hansel's edition, especially since you can download it for free;).

    bob