Ephraemi Rescriptus

  • Rodrigo Arthur D. S. Melo
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 17, 2010
      Hi everyone!

      Please, someone can help me? I don't know where i can
      download or buy a complete facsimile of Ephraemi Rescriptus.

      Many thanks, have a nice week and God bless everyone!

      Rodrigo Arthur D. S. Melo
      Member of Igreja Presbiteriana do Brasil
      Student at Seminário Presbiteriano de Brasília
      http://www.rodrigoarthur.com.br
    • Dirk Jongkind
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 17, 2010
        The best thing available are the transcriptions of the manuscript by Tischendorf NT 1843, LXX 1845, with corrections published by Lyons

        Lyon, Robert W. "Re-examination of Codex Ephraemi rescriptus." New Testament Studies 5 (1959): 260-72.

        Tischendorf, C. Codex Ephramei Syri Rescriptus: sive fragmenta Veteris Testamenti e codice Graeco Parisiensi celeberrimo quinti ut videtur post Christum saeculi eruit atque edidit C. Tischendorf. Leipzig: Bernh. Tauchnitz Jun., 1845.

        Tischendorf, C. Codex Ephraemi Syri Rescriptus: sive fragmenta Novi Testamenti e codice Graeco Parisiensi celeberrimo quinti ut videtur post Christum seculi. Leipzig: Bernh. Tauchnitz Jun., 1843.

        The LXX volume is available for download on archive.org for sure (http://www.archive.org/details/Tischendorf.V.Various), I expect the NT volume to be there somewhere too.

        Best,
        Dirk

        --
        Dirk Jongkind, PhD
        Fellow and Tutor, St. Edmund's College

      • Scott-n-July
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 17, 2010
          I too would love to find a complete facsimile. Thus far in my search I have only found a half-dozen images. And the Edition by Tischendorf has just the one facsimile, the whole being only a transcription.

          Images here:
          http://dl.dropbox.com/u/750862/Ephraemi/Ephraemi_Images.zip

          If there is such a facsimile, please share! ;-)

          Scott

          Quote:

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 17, 2010

            The LXX volume is available for download on archive.org  (http://www.archive.org/details/Tischendorf.V.Various), I expect the NT volume to be there somewhere too.

            Best,
            Dirk

            Rodrigo Arthur D. S. Melo wrote:

            Hi everyone!

            Please, someone can help me? I don't know where i can
            download or buy a complete facsimile of Ephraemi Rescriptus.

            Many thanks, have a nice week and God bless everyone!

            Rodrigo Arthur D. S. Melo
            Member of Igreja Presbiteriana do Brasil
            Student at Seminário Presbiteriano de Brasília
            http://www.rodrigoa rthur.com. br

            --
            Dirk Jongkind, PhD
            Fellow and Tutor, St. Edmund's College
            Research Fellow in New Testament Text and Language
            Tyndale House
            36 Selwyn Gardens
            Cambridge, CB3 9BA		Phone:(UK) 01223 566603
            United Kingdom			Fax:  (UK) 01223 566608

          • John McChesney-Young
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 17, 2010
              On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 8:32 AM, Dirk Jongkind <dj214@...> wrote in part:

              > The best thing available are the transcriptions of the manuscript by Tischendorf NT 1843, LXX 1845, with corrections published by Lyon.
              > Tischendorf, C. Codex Ephraemi Syri Rescriptus: sive fragmenta Novi Testamenti e codice Graeco Parisiensi celeberrimo quinti ut videtur post Christum seculi. Leipzig: Bernh. Tauchnitz Jun., 1843.
              >
              > The LXX volume is available for download on archive.org  (http://www.archive.org/details/Tischendorf.V.Various), I expect the NT volume to be there somewhere too.

              According to http://www.bible-researcher.com/codex-c.html,
              Tischendorf's text is that reprinted in Hansell's 1864 edition

              http://books.google.com/books?id=mXZAAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q=&f=false
              (v. 1, Gospels)

              http://books.google.com/books?id=-xlVAAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q=&f=false
              (v. 2, the remainder)

              John

              --
              John McChesney-Young ** Berkeley, California, U.S.A.
              JMcCYoung~at~gmail.com ** http://twitter.com/jmccyoung **
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 17, 2010
                Regarding Ephraemi Rescriptus, if you want to check up something specific, it is in fact possible to order new photographs from the holding institution. I have seen a new image on a computer and it was in very good quality. However, that will be very expensive.

                Tommy Wasserman

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 17, 2010
                  Scott, Dirk, John

                  Many Thanks!

                  Well, i will try the google.fr and Bibliothèque nationale de France (where the codex are). If found some thing i will upload to megaupload and send it to group.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 18, 2010

                    I am reproducing below a post I sent one year ago.

                    ---------------------------------

                    I was able to see the dissertation by Robert W. Lyon on Codex Ephraemi Rescriptus recently. It is important because he actually checked the manuscript anew.

                    Unfortunately the book is very difficult to copy. It consists of blueprints from a typewriter!

                    Well, I had my point&shoot with me and photographed the most important pages. (Rule: Always carry a camera with you, esp. in libraries.)

                    In the file below you will find the complete intro material and part of the appendix (Gospels). Most important I think are the last 4 pages, which give the differences to Tischendorf's edition.

                    Perhaps this is useful to some ...

                    http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/foto-ag/files/Codex-C-04-Lyon.pdf

                    (6 MB)

                    Btw. throughout the book are pencil notes in German ...

                    ---------------------------------

                    --------------------------

                    Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany

                    mailto:wie@...

                    http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/

                  • James Spinti
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 18, 2010
                      Before his death, Bob Lyon had typed his whole dissertation into his
                      computer and printed out a copy. His widow has the copy, but has been
                      unable to find the electronic version. According to her, Bob had
                      penciled in some corrections in the margins.

                      It would be wonderful if she could find the electronic version...

                      James

                      ________________________________
                      James Spinti
                      Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
                      jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
                      Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
                      Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
                      Fax: 574-269-6788

                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 18, 2010
                        Someone should tip her off to a tool like Wingrep that will search all documents for a given string.

                        Sent from my iPhone

                        ____________ _________ _________ __

                        ------------ --------- --------- ---

                        I was able to see the dissertation by Robert W. Lyon on Codex Ephraemi
                        Rescriptus recently. It is important because he actually checked the
                        manuscript anew.

                        Unfortunately the book is very difficult to copy. It consists of
                        blueprints from a typewriter!

                        Well, I had my point&shoot with me and photographed the most important
                        pages. (Rule: Always carry a camera with you, esp. in libraries.)

                        In the file below you will find the complete intro material and part of
                        the appendix (Gospels). Most important I think are the last 4 pages,
                        which give the differences to Tischendorf' s edition.

                        Perhaps this is useful to some ...

                        http://www.informat ik.uni-bremen. de/foto-ag/ files/Codex- C-04-Lyon. pdf

                        (6 MB)

                        Btw. throughout the book are pencil notes in German ...

                        ------------ --------- --------- ---

                        ------------ --------- -----

                        Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany

                        mailto:wie@uni-bremen. de

                        http://www.uni- bremen.de/ ~wie

                        Textcritical commentary:

                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 18, 2010
                          That has been tried.

                          James

                          ________________________________

                          wrote:

                          Before his death, Bob Lyon had typed his whole dissertation into
                          his
                          computer and printed out a copy. His widow has the copy, but has
                          been
                          unable to find the electronic version. According to her, Bob had
                          penciled in some corrections in the margins.

                          It would be wonderful if she could find the electronic
                          version...

                          James

                          ________________________________
                          James Spinti
                          Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
                          jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
                          Web: <http://www.eisenbrauns.com> http://www.eisenbrauns.com
                          Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
                          Fax: 574-269-6788

                          <mailto:textualcriticism%40yahoogroups.com>
[...]

                          mailto:wie@... <mailto:wie%40uni-bremen.de>

                          <http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie> http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie

                          Textcritical commentary:

                          <http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/>
                          http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/
                        • Bob Relyea Home
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 18, 2010
                          • 1 Attachment
                          • 9.4 MB
                          On 02/17/2010 02:31 AM, Scott-n-July wrote:
                          I too would love to find a complete facsimile. Thus far in my search I have only found a half-dozen images. And the Edition by Tischendorf has just the one facsimile, the whole being only a transcription.

                          Images here:
                          http://dl.dropbox.com/u/750862/Ephraemi/Ephraemi_Images.zip

                          If there is such a facsimile, please share! ;-)
                          No one has published a complete facsimile.
                          No one has uploaded a copy of Tischendorf's transcription to either internet archive or Google books;(.

                          Until the former happens, you can get Tischendor's New Testament transcription here for a price:

                          http://kirtasbooks.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=225744&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=3

                          This is:

                          Tischendorf, C. Codex Ephraemi Syri Rescriptus: sive fragmenta Novi Testamenti e codice Graeco Parisiensi celeberrimo quinti ut videtur post Christum seculi. Leipzig: Bernh. Tauchnitz Jun., 1843.

                          (The $2 download option just went live today. $20 for the softback, $30 for the hardback).

                          NOTE: there are no plates, this is strictly a transcription, albeit laid out in the same format as the original (a pseudo-facsimile, if you will).

                          (Disclaimer: Kirstas provides on demand digitization. One of their options is to "Invest in Knowledge". This means you get a percentage (5%) of the sales of that volume. I've "invested in knowledge" in this volume, so I'll get a wapping ten cents for every download -- with I would gladly forgo if someone with an orgininal copy would upload it to the internet archive;).

                          Until then, If you are in a hurry and don't otherwise have access, at least it's not a bank breaking option (until an on-demand book has been digitized, it costs $20 for the down load version!).

                          Hansel:

                          As John M-Y pointed out, Hansel does indeed have the Codex Ephraemi, as well as several other codecis in parallel columns and "normal" type. It's a pretty handy volume to have, it has pretty much all the well known codecis from that period (W and the papyri aren't included, and the Sinaiticus is only provided as a colation at the end). It also has a third volume:

                          http://books.google.com/books?id=jxlVAAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=editions:OCLC3036681#v=onepage&q=&f=false

                          It has all the some notes & corrections, the complete colation for the Sinaiticus, and a few facsimile pages in the back (including the Ephraemi Rescriptus). Unfortunately the google book digitizer did not unfold the facsimile pages, to it quite faithfully digitized the blank back sides of the folded pages. Fortunately I was able to get my hands on a copy and was able to photograph the missing facimile pages. Those plates are attached as a pdf.

                          Anyway I highly recommend Hansel's edition, especially since you can download it for free;).

                          bob