Mark 14:12

  • Tallen
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 11, 2010
      It seems that this verse places Passover on the first day of Unleavened Bread. Which can't be.

      Are there any significant variations that would read differently?
    • james_snapp_jr
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 12, 2010
        Hi Tallen,

        No; I don't think there are any significant variations in Mk. 14:12. But the larger question of the historical details involved may overlap with variants at parallel-passages.

        For some differing interpretations/solutions to the question of the day of the institution of the Lord's Supper and the day of Christ's crucifixion, you may want to check out:

        Essay 10 ("The Day and Year of Christ's Crucifixion") in Robert Thomas' and Stanley Gundry's "A Harmony of the Gospels."

        Margaret Gibson's preface to the English translation of Ishodad's Commentary on the Gospels, Volume 1 (Mt. & Mk.).

        Lightfoot's commentary on Mark; see the appended note, "The Lord the true passover feast."

        The eminent textual critic Westcott's 1881 "Introduction to the Gospels," pages 343-349; see the special note "On the Day of the Crucifixion."

        (Except for Thomas & Gundry's book, these books are accessible online.)

      • Jeff Cate
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 12, 2010

          From S. C. E. Legg:

          ms 46 has TRITH for PRWTH

          ms l184 omits PRWTH

          mss 11, 157, and 1342 omit HMERA

          Jeff Cate,
          Riverside, CA

          It seems that this verse places Passover on the first day of Unleavened Bread. Which can't be.

          Are there any significant variations that would read differently?

        • Heterodoxus
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 12, 2010
            Other than the content of John 19:14a (in which John's "sixth hour" varies from "third hour" in Mark 15:25), I find no variations.

            Perhaps it's a matter of how one interprets th prwth: first in time and place, or in rank and influence?

            Pat

            It seems that this verse places Passover on the first day of Unleavened Bread. Which can't be.

            Are there any significant variations that would read differently?

          • Jovial
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 13, 2010

              Interpretation may well indeed be what is key here, and some of the variants mentioned (such as dropping "emera") may have been an attempt to bring the text more in line with how it is interpretted.  The beginning of unleavenness for a Jew would not be Aviv 15 - which is the first calendar day of the Feast of Unleavened bread.  The day BEFORE the frist calendar day of the Feast of Unleavened bread.  Jewish tradition is to search for leaven in the house after nightfall the night prior and ceremonially burn anything found the next morning, which would indeed preceed slaying the lamb.

            • Michael.Borries@mail.cuny.edu
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 16, 2010

                While I haven't tried to research this in the resources James Snapp so kindly provided, I think it should be kept in mind that today it is not unusual to refer to the first and last days of Passover, the last day, of course, being really the last day of Unleavened Bread.  So perhaps one should expect similar usages in antiquity.  The two feasts are very closely associated.

                Michael S. Borries
                CUNY Central Cataloging
                151 East 25th Street, 5th Floor
                New York, NY  10010