Re: [textualcriticism] Uncial letters as numbers and p115

  • Jeff Cate
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 7, 2010

      Thanks, David and thanks for sending me the link. That's certainly interesting. I'm wondering about how the INTF has the evidence for p115 listed on Rev. 13:18.

      http://nttranscripts.uni-muenster.de/AnaServer?NTtranscripts+0+start.anv (Revelation 13:18)

      When you move the cursor over "åîçêïíôá" at the top, in the right window they list p115 as evidence for "åîçêïíôá" along with N-A27 p47 01 02. It seems (at least to me), that the evidence for p115 should be listed as p115-vid at the most. Yes, there's an eta before "XIC" in p115, but there's no number extant before the eta. Is it possible that this is a typo in the INTF system?

      I do see that they have "ç åîáêïóéïé åêêáéäåêá" on the left as a variant reading.

      Sincerely,

       --Jeff Cate,
      Riverside, CA

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 8, 2010
        Yes, but then at the bottom left screen, you see that it shows the number 616 as an addition, in addition to 666, along with the eta.  It is very clear to me that this is what they say P115 reads: "666 or 616."

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 8, 2010
          Jeff,

          There is a certain amount of dittography that creeps into the INTF website (for instance, at Matthew 27:17) Now that I think of it, that also involved the letter H used as "or." It might be due to some flaw in the programming. At any rate, you can sort through the evidence, especially using the "show original spelling" function, to tease out the real story. In the "verse by verse" screen, INTF reads for p115:
           εξακοσιοι εξηκοντα εξ η εξακοσιοι εκκαιδεκα
          that is, EXAKOSIOI EXHKONTA EX H EXADOSIOI EKKAIDEKA
          Going over to "show original spelling" on the Word Collation screen, it shows P47 as reading χξϚ that is, superscribed CXS,
          and p115 as reading χξϚ that is, superscribed CXS [vid].
          But p115 is also listed for χιϚ that is, superscribed CIS.

          And it's a little disengenuous to claim a unique spelling for Aleph just because Aleph actually spells it out. For all we know that's the spelling the other scribes had in mind when they wrote it in numerals.

          It is confusing. Fortunately there are printed facsimilies of this figure so we know it really reads 616, nothing particularly vid about it.

          Daniel Buck

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 8, 2010

            Thanks, Daniel. (And my apologies for the gibberish in my earlier post... I thought it would copy and paste unicode... should've checked before posting... should've just used transliteration)

            Bill Warren pointed out to me offline in an email that ms 1854 has the eta before the number... but it's used as a direct article (not the conjunction "or"). The entire sentence in ms 1854 reads "O ARIQMOS AUTOU ESTI H EXAKOSIOI EXHKONTA EX." So if eta is used as a direct article in ms 1854 (even though 666 in the sentence is a predicative nominative), wouldn't it be speculation to think that p115 reads "666 or 616" like the INTF seems to indicate when no text is extant before the eta?

            I'm not aware of any ms of Rev that include two numbers as an either/or situation in that verse. Irenaeus discusses both 616 and 666 in Adv. Haer. 5.30.1-4... but he doesn't mention any mss that have both numbers. I don't know of a ms that has two options for the number. (And unfortunately, I don't have Hoskier's collations at hand to double check)

            Thanks again.

            Jeff Cate,
            Riverside, CA

            There is a certain amount of dittography that creeps into the INTF website (for instance, at Matthew 27:17) Now that I think of it, that also involved the letter H used as "or." It might be due to some flaw in the programming. At any rate, you can sort through the evidence, especially using the "show original spelling" function, to tease out the real story. In the "verse by verse" screen, INTF reads for p115:
             ÎµÎ¾Î±ÎºÎ¿ÏƒÎ¹Î¿Î¹ εξηκοντα εξ η εξακοσιοι εκκαιδεκα
            that is, EXAKOSIOI EXHKONTA EX H EXADOSIOI EKKAIDEKA
            Going over to "show original spelling" on the Word Collation screen, it shows P47 as reading Ï‡Î¾Ïš that is, superscribed CXS,

            Jeff Cate wrote:

            << So in Greek uncial writing, what does the difference between a regular sigma (200) look like compared to a final sigma (6)?

            Diet Help
            Cheap Diet Help Tips. Click here.

          • Daniel Buck
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 8, 2010
              Okay, I think I've figured this out. Note that in the image of p115, H CIS is all that is visible on the line. The INTF folks apparently are hypothesizing that the line originally read CXS H CIS, that is, "666, or 616." In other words, a gloss was inserted into the text. So what is 'vid' is the portion of the line EXAKOSIOI EXHKONTA EX that precedes H EXADOSIOI EKKAIDEKA. I think 'vid' is claiming too much here, especially since Aleph, which spells out the number, omits και ο αριθμος αυτου (KAI O ARIQMOS AUTOU) right before it.

              What do you think?

              Daniel Buck

              Jeff Cate wrote:

              << So in Greek uncial writing, what does the difference between a regular sigma (200) look like compared to a final sigma (6)?

            • David Robert Palmer
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 8, 2010
                Daniel, I think you are right about dittography.  There must be some flaw in the scripts or software that makes it display things it shouldn't, in several of the views.  I have now concluded that the surest way to find a reading for a manuscript, is to click on the name of the manuscript itself, in the "word by word" view.  When you do that for p115, it reads: [5-8] [χξ̅Ϛ] η χι̅Ϛ   That is, with the 666 in square brackets, and in red.  It seems to give a letter count of what is missing, and it just fills in what the NA27 reads, for convenience.  Also, it pops up messages about "wits" and that NA27.  Does anyone know what these "wits" are?

                So, Jeff, I changed my mind about what the site indicates.  I think it indicates the reading of p115 as Eta Chi Iota Sigma only.

                Again, does anyone know what these "wits" are?

                Thanks.

                David Robert Palmer

                Sent: Monday, February 08, 2010 12:35 PM

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 8, 2010
                  Yes, I have heard that theory about H in p115 being the definite article.  Hoskier does not indicate that 1854 has "H".  Mr. Warren, could you please tell us what is your source for that reading?  Do you have images of the MS yourself?  Or do you have the the editio princeps?

                  Thanks.

                  David Robert Palmer

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 9, 2010
                    I have presented my view on the matter here:
                    http://tinyurl.com/yatzb6e

                    Conclusion: We cannot know. :-)

                    --------------------------
                    Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
                    mailto:wie@...
                    http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/
                  • Bill Warren
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 9, 2010
                      The reading is based on the images that we have at the CNTTS, with the reading being very clear in 1854.

                      paz y gracia,

                      Bill Warren, Ph.D.

                      On Feb 9, 2010, at 1:47 AM, David Robert Palmer wrote:

                      Yes, I have heard that theory about H in p115 being the definite article.  Hoskier does not indicate that 1854 has "H".  Mr. Warren, could you please tell us what is your source for that reading?  Do you have images of the MS yourself?  Or do you have the the editio princeps?

                      Thanks.

                      David Robert Palmer

                      =
                    • David Robert Palmer
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 9, 2010
                         I have heard that Bill Warren says the MS 1854 has an eta before the 666.  Hoskier does not mention an eta in MS 1854, but does have something interesting.  He says that there is a marginal note, "LATEINOS."  I gather that this means the scribe or a commentator of 1854 is commenting that the number 666 stands by gematria for the Roman Empire.  That is, L = 30, A = 1, T = 300, E = 5, I = 10, N = 50, O = 70, S = 200, which add up to 666.

                        Irenaeus considered the theory of Titus (TEITAN) to be the most likely, and LATEINOS the second most likely.

                        At any rate, if there is an eta before the 666 in 1854, would this have some meaning as an article in light of the fact the scribe thinks it refers to the Roman Empire?

                        David Robert Palmer

                      • Jeff Cate
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 9, 2010
                          Thanks, Wieland. That's the kind of reconstruction and analysis for which I was searching and had yet to locate. Nice job on the reconstruction. It's interesting that ms 1854 has ESTI before the eta, but ESTI still wouldn't fit the gap as you've reconstructed it.

                          Jeff Cate,
                          Riverside, CA

                          I have presented my view on the matter here:
                          http://tinyurl. com/yatzb6e

                          Conclusion: We cannot know. :-)

                          ------------ --------- -----
                          Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
                          mailto:wie@uni-bremen. de
                          http://www.uni- bremen.de/ ~wie
                          Textcritical commentary:
                          http://www.uni- bremen.de/ ~wie/TCG/

                          Nutrition

                        • David Robert Palmer
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 9, 2010
                            Some possibilities to fill the gap in p115:

                            Perhaps p115 first had the 616 number spelled out, that is, EXAKOSIOI DEKA EX then H then XIC.  This would make the H as "or" make sense.  Is there any other example of a MS using both the ligature and the spelled out number separated by "H"?  (If even more space is left, try EXAKOSIOI KAI DEKA KAI EX.)

                            Readings of other mss that might fill the gap:

                            TOU QHRIOU ESTIN in place of AUTOU  (MS 2016)
                            ESTI KAI O ARIQMOS AUTOU  (MS 2021)

                            David Robert Palmer