Re: [textualcriticism] Re: Early Acts fragment

  • sarban
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 6, 2010
      I'm resending this since my reply to Daniel somehow got deleted

      I was presuming a 500+ date on the basis of the claim by Metzger p 76 that the earliest known fragments of the Palestinian Syriac date from the 6th century.

      Khirbet Mird itself is the site of a 5/6th century monastery

      This online reference may be helpful
      or

      Andrew Criddlle

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 6, 2010
        Thanks for the link, Andrew (I had to delete the spaces to get it to work). It helped to clear things up.

        I see now that Murabaat is a Jewish site with several 2nd century mss, and Khirbet Mird is a Christian site, with many 5th-8th century mss. And the original footnote did refer to ms Mird 657-rv. So, at least in that reference, it was just a misspelling. I even misspelled it!

        What threw me off was that the only other reference to "Khirbet Mira" identified it with Murabaat. Once I got the spelling right, I was able to find all sorts of information on the site. So thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

        Daniel Buck

        Actually, I was under the impression that the mss found in Khirbet Mari [sic] could be identified with the Wadi Murabbat hoard, which date to the early 2nd century. Are you presuming a 500+ date on the basis that the Palestinean Syriac version must post-date a Lucian recension?

         Daniel Buck

        Andrew Criddle wrote:

        <<According to Metzger "Early Versions..." pps 78-80 The fragment is from a Palestinian Syriac manuscript.

        Its editio princeps is by Charles Perrot RB lxx (1963) pps 506-555

        Metzger does not give a date for this fragment but it is presumably after 500 CE.  >>

        Daniel Buck had asked:

        In the book Erscheinungen des Jahres 1963 by Wilhelm Schneemelcher and Knut Schäferdiek (found on googlebooks), one of the notes mentions "Un Fragment christo-palestinien découvert à Khirbet Mira" containing Acts 10:28-29, 32-41.

        Can anyone identify this fragment and point me to any other mention of it online? The only other reference I could find was the jstor-protected article Some Important Textual Studies, by Eldon Jay Epp in 1965.

        It seems incredible that no one would have commented on such an ancient ms in the past 45 years. Would this be a Syriac manuscript?