Re: [textualcriticism] Diatessaron and Matt 17:21

  • Jonathan C. Borland
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2010
      Thanks, Wieland,

      I tend to agree with you that the Diatessaron by itself is an
      unreliable witness in this passage due to the nature of its
      composition. I am not familiar with all of the sources for the
      Diatessaron at this place. The English translation provided in ANF
      9:81: "But it is impossible to cast out this kind by anything except
      by fasting and prayer."

      I mention three peculiar observations:

      (1) the term "impossible" seems to correlate more to Mark than to
      Matthew;

      (2) "cast out" appears to correlate more to Matthew (via _eicitur_ as
      the united testimony of the OL) than to Mark (where _exire_ appears in
      all the OL except f/10, which singularly has _expelli_);

      (3) the presence of "fasting" here in A.D. 166 is strange if it is not
      the earliest form of this Jesus saying (cf. Mark, but even there the
      possibility that p45 has "fasting" would suggest the possibility that
      it is the earliest attested form; cf. also Origen in this place in
      Comm. Matt. 13.6-7 [ANF 9:478-9). Cf. also William L. Petersen's
      similar pleadings with regard to the "fire" in the Jordan during
      Jesus' baptismal episode in Tatian's Diatessaron: Its Creation,
      Dissemination, Significance, and History in Scholarship [Supplements
      to Vigiliae christianae 25; New York: Brill, 1994], 16-7]).

      A few comments from Diatessaronic scholars would be much appreciated.

      Jonathan C. Borland