MS 713, a neglected witness

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2010
      MS 713 is only rarely mentioned.
      It appears once in NA for its unique expansion after Mt 17:26, which also
      appears in Ephraem's commentary on Tatian. Perhaps one of those apocryphal
      additions in the Diatessaron?

      The manuscript also agrees frequently with the f13 group, e.g. the
      transposition of Luke 22:43-44 to Matthew 26:39.
      It adds Isaiah in Mt 13:35 and reads APECEI TO TELOS in Mk 14:41. It omits
      the PA completely, etc. etc.

      The manuscript is in Birmingham today. It might be worth studying it in
      detail (hint!).

      Rendel Harris wrote about it in 1886:
      J. Rendel Harris "Cod. Ev. 561: Codex Algerinae Peckover" Journal of the
      Society of Biblical Literature and Exegesis, 6 (1886) 79-89 [561 is its
      Scrivener number]
      I make the article available for a few days here:
      http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/713.pdf

      --------------------------
      Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
      mailto:wie@...
      http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/
    • TeunisV
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2010
        713 is subject of study in a booklet of 52 pages: A. Pott, Der griechisch-syrische Text des Matthaeus; e351 im Verhaeltniss zu Tatian s sc Ferrar, Leipzig 1912.
        Pott's booklet is discussed by A.F.J. Klijn, in his: A survey of the researches into the Western Text of the Gospels and Acts, Utrecht 1949, pp.65-67.
        "He [=Pott] is dealing here with the more or less unknown codex e351 (v.S.; Gregory: 713). Here occurs a remarkable reading in Mt 17,27. In vs 26 after oi oioi follow the words efe Simon vai legei o Iesous dos oun kai su allotrios auton. Here Peter is considered to be one of the "princes", as in vs 27 ekeinon labon dos autois anti emou kai sou. This entirily agrees with Ta Ephr. ... An agreement with the Ferrar group is also noticeable."
        Klijn describes Pott's ideas: 713 corrected by a Syriac translation. 713 belongs to v. Sodens Sippe Sigma, related to O. Klijn offers a diagram of Pott's ideas. His final comments: "Here we have a compromise between v. soden's and the traditional conception with suggestions that were not understood in Pott's own generation, but are nevertheless noteworthy for the fact that they were to reappear under the name "Caeserean text".
        A caveat: sometimes variants (Lk 22,43-44,45a, PA) in f13 (and 713!) are qualified as "Caeserean", but in fact they are orginated from the Byzantine lectionary system. See, inter alia: Once again: floating words, their significance fro textual criticism. NTS, 41(1995), pp. 286-291 (288).

        Teunis van Lopik
        Leidschendam, The Netherlands

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 19, 2010

          Teunis van Lopik wrote:

          > 713 is subject of study in a

          booklet of 52 pages: A. Pott,

          > Der griechisch-syrische Text des Matthaeus; e351 im

          > Verhaeltniss zu Tatian s sc Ferrar, Leipzig 1912.

          I ordered this one via inter library loan.

          What I received was a slightly damaged little booklet, which I secured for the time to come by digitizing it.

          It was so full of mold fungi, that I had to clean my scanner afterwards, and everything else that got into contact with this biotope.

          The file is available here:

          http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/foto-ag/files/Pott-MS-713.pdf

          (9 MB)