What's still out there from Qumran?

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 28, 2004
      Just reading a popular book about Qumran:
      I'm reading that just before he died (1994?), Kando sold 2000 fragments
      to a London collector. Still unpublished?
      I'm reading that there are at least three full scrolls out there, which
      have not yet been published (source: Strugnell). They are possibly in
      the possession of oil sheiks, who keep them as an investment? One of
      them is an Enoch scroll?
      I'm reading that there is one scroll left (Ezekiel) of which they are
      unable to open it?

      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
    • Stephen Goranson
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 29, 2004
        Wieland,

        What popular book are you reading?

        Some Qumran scroll fragments are in private collections, for example, the M.
        Schoyen collection, kept in London and Oslo. Some of these items, including a
        date palm pen with ink that I have suggested be C14 tested, are said to be
        from Kando (including from Cave 11), but in this case after another owner. The
        pen is pictured online, google Schoyen collection; also pictured in the F.
        Mebarki and E. Puech Scroll book, and mentioned in the J.-B. Humbert and Jan
        Gunneweg ed., vol. 2 of Khirbet Qumran et Ain Feshkha, Etudes d'anthropologie,
        de physique et de chimie (2003). This volume also includes ostraca and much
        else of interest, even though parts of some chapters contradict parts of some
        other chapters. And it mentions....yet another Qumran inkwell.

        In the DJD series, if I recall correctly (I'm away from my books), yet to
        appear (at least I haven't seen them) are the Samuel volume (Cross and Parry),
        maybe one on Isaiah, and the second Puech Cave 4 Aramaic volume, and perhaps
        count a mentioned reedition of Allegro's pesharim by Brooke and Bernstein.

        And various archaeological reports from various digs are yet to appear.

        best
        Stephen Goranson

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 29, 2004
          > What popular book are you reading?

          I'm reading:
          "Jesus und die Schriftrollen von Qumran" ; [1947-1997, Jubil�umsband zur
          Entdeckung der Qumran-Rollen vor 50 Jahren] / Schick, Alexander. -
          Berneck : Schwengeler, 1997

          This is not a M.Baigent-R.Leigh-kind of book. The author gives the
          impression of having private contact with the members of the
          international team.
          He states that Prof Strugnell told him that there are three scrolls in
          the possession of someone (possibly oil sheiks, speculation) and that no
          scholar has yet seen them. One of these scrolls should be Enoch.
          And there are about 2000 fragments sold to a private collector in 1994.
          I'm no expert, are these the Shoyen fragments?

          mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
        • Stephen Goranson
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 30, 2004
            Wieland,
            The short answer is I don't know. I've heard of claims of additional scrolls,
            and would surely be interested, but have no direct knowledge. Schoyen has
            Qumran fragments, some once held by Kando apparently (plus there's Kando's
            son), but not, as far as I know, 2000. Besides Strugnell and Schoyen, two
            people who seem to be better informed about such things than most of us are
            Weston Fields and Matthew Hamilton.

            best,
            Stephen Goranson