Re: Matt 1:6 (+/- O BASILEUS)

  • bucksburg
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 6, 2010
      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Buck wrote:
      >> p1vid, for example, through the deletion of an article, has David begetting Solomon by Uriah! <<

      Forget the 'vid'; I was led astray by the dotted letters in the online transcription. Looking for myself at the color image magnified several times (thanks very much, M√Ľnster), it's clear that, although the precise spelling of Solomon is still in doubt, the words that follow his name are EK THS OUREIOU, correlating to EK THS RUQ and [EK] THS RACAB farther up the page.

      The scribe has an interesting way of writing EI in which sometimes the iota is independent but dropped below the line, and sometimes extending and descending from the crossbar of the epsilon. This is a case of the former; Ozias of the latter.