Re: Lachmann and Luke 24:12

  • socius72
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 2009
      Hi James,

      I am familiar what WH wrote about it, but was interested in Lachmann's treatmeant. It is interesting that he decides to keep the verse in the Latin (he doesn't appear to use the square brackets in the same manner in the Latin). Your statement...

      "this verse is not attested by Codex D or by several important Old Latin witnesses, and there is really no reason why it would be omitted if original, whereas it would be a natural sort of interpolation (or a marginal notation, subsequently inserted) for a copyist to make, drawn from Jn. 20:3-10, to complement the main narrative."

      ...appears the only plausible reason for the brackets that i can think of.

      I'm guessing that in light of D and it omitting the verse Lachmann's 4th and 5th canons are taken in consideration?

      4. When witnesses of different widely separated regions disagree, the testimony must be considered to be doubtfully balanced.
      5. When readings are in one form in one region and in another form in another region, with great uniformity, they are quite uncertain.
      [Epp's translation of canons. "The Eclectic Method in New Testament Textual Criticism: Solution or Symptom?" in SBLSP (1975)]

      thanks,
      Joe