Re: [textualcriticism] Re: What do these mean? T / Z1 / Z2

  • David Robert Palmer
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 22, 2009

      Daniel Buck wrote:

      << T: the original text, when alternate reading/s is/are present.
      Z: a text written to replace T, either interlinearly or marginally. This can include the deletion of T by means of sublinear dots. >>

      No, I believe it is strictly 01c that is a text that is written to replace 01*.  The 01Z sigla mostly means an alternate reading, but is meant to be less decisive/judgmental as to whether the alternate text is, on the one hand, a replacement (correction) of 01T, or on the other hand, just pointing out an alternate reading that exists out there.  Such that, just because there is no room for the correction in the text line itself, and it is placed in the margin, we cannot tell whether it is a replacement (correction) or simply pointing out other readings (v.l. or variant reading or marginal reading).

      We really need to find a real example in a Greek manuscript to talk about, one where the Muenster Instutute uses both 01c and 01Z.  Codex Sinaiticus would be a good manuscript to use, since it is found in all the footnote textual apparatuses, and we can all freely view an image of it on the Internet for purposes of this discussion.

      And I must point out that Muenster online does not even use 01Z1, it uses 01T in contradistinction to 01Z2, for two alternate readings.  I don't like this.  01Z2 is really just 01Z.  The sigla 01Z2 implies there is an 01Z1 sigla, which there is not.  Shorter is better and simpler is better.  I understand it, that when you speak of alternates, T is one alternative, and Z is another alternative.

      Here is an example of where all of them, 01txt, 01Z and 01C1, and 01C2 are used, in one verse, Revelation 1:9.

      01* reads IANHS for IWANNHS, then 01C1 corrects it to IWANHS, then 01C2 corrects it to IWANNHS finally.  IWANNHS means "John."
      01txt reads IY, for "Jesus."  (along with C P 1611 1678 1778 2020 2050 2080 WH VonSoden Charles NA27
      01Z reads IY XW; possibly as a correction to read "Jesus Christ" Or, it is simply showing an alternate reading in the margin, XW, that found in Codex A, which reads just XW without IY.
      (the Byzantine mss read XW IY, and the TR reads IY XY)

      These two-letter abbreviations for Jesus Christ (and other names for God) are what is known as "Nomina Sacra."  But Greek mss did this for other names as well, like David.

      Here is the URL for the pertinent image of Codex Sinaiticus:

      Verse 9 is in the second column, line 13.

      On line 13 is the 01* example:- after the 4th letter, a corrector has added a letter above the line.  But then after the N, a different corrector in a different hand has added another N above the line.

      The 01Z example is at the end of the 17th line.  After "IY" (Jesus) and above it, there is a mark called an "obelus" that looks like a diagonal ÷ sign.  This sign refers you to the margin, where you find another reading, XW.

      Another verse with both 01C and 01Z is Revelation 13:8b, where Muenster says:

      01T reads:  WN GEGRAPTAI TA ONOMATA AUTWN EN BIBLW
      01C reads: WN GEGRAPTAI TA ONOMATA  EN BIBLW  (removes AUTWN)
      01Z reads: WN OY GEGRAPAI TA ONOMATA EN TW BIBLIW  (adds OY and TW)

      Verse 13:8b starts in the first column, on the 32nd line.

      After the 5th letter, you can see "OY" written above the gap.  And on the 34th line, after the 3rd letter, you can see "TW" added above.  These additions are not in the text line itself, so thus are called "01Z."

      For the 01C reading, Muenster says "AUTWN" is removed.  This is at the end of the 33rd line.  The word AUTWN is not actually erased, but there are dots above the letters.

      David Robert Palmer