Re: Codex Vercellensis - Correction and Links

  • james_snapp_jr
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2009
      Over at TC-Alternate, Yuri chimed in, pointing out that the transcript of Codex Vercellensis has nothing to do with Andreas Birch; the online two-volume transcript is the one that was made by Irici in 1748.

      You can reach Irici's transcript of Codex Vercellensis by going to Google Books, setting the search-filter to "Full view only," and searching for "Evangeliorum Codex Vercellensis." Look at entry #9. It should be "Sacrosanctus Evangeliorum Codex." In this entry there is a link to "More editions." Click on "More editions."

      A new screen should appear, with two entries. A new screen should appear, with two entries. Their names and descriptions are identical ("Sacrosanctus Evangeliorum Codex"), but their covers are different. These are the two volumes of Irici's page-by-page transcript
      of Codex Vercellensis.

      While you're at Google Books, you may want to run a search for
      "Evangeliorum." It returns hundreds of entries; looking through the first 100 or so, I found the following, only some of which I have looked at to identify confidently:

      #14 = OL Codex Vindobonensis
      #20 = Old Slav Gospels
      #32 = OL Codex Ussherianus (T. K. Abbott)
      #34 = Horne's Intro to NT (I'm not sure what volume this is)
      #37 = Codex Rossanensis
      #38 = Arabic Diatessaron, I think
      #40 = Gothic Codex Argenteus
      #42 = Latin Vulgate, Sixtus edition
      #46 = Codex Sangallensis (Delta) – Rettig, facsimile
      #48 = Philoxenian Syriac
      #55 = OL Codex Vindobonensis (again)
      #59 = Arabic Diatessaron with Ciasca's Latin translation (1888)
      #60 = something by J. A. Schmeller: possibly a transcript of Codex Fuldensis.
      #64 = Codex Vindobonensis (again)
      #89 = Curetonian Syriac
      #101 = Codex Palatinus (I think)

      Oh, and Yuri also provided links directly to volumes 1 and 2 of Irici's transcript of Codex Vercellensis:

      Vol. 1 = http://books.google.ca/books?id=uvf-uIfdaWkC

      Vol. 2 = http://books.google.ca/books?id=EVdsumdyO6wC