Codex Vercellensis - Full Page by Page Transcript

  • james_snapp_jr
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2009
      I searched Google Books today for "Evangeliorum." Ciasca's 1888 Arabic Diatessaron is there. Lots of interesting things are there. Something that looks like a transcript of Codex Fuldensis is there, with a Latin title that looks like "Gospel of the Harmonica-players."

      But the Find-of-the-Day award goes to Andreas Birch's two-volume presentation of the Old Latin Codex Vercellensis. Both volumes -- I repeat: Volume One and Volume Two -- are at Google Books; both are described as having 619 pages. These are not repeat-entries; one is Volume 1 (Mt. and Jn.) and the other one is Volume 2 (Lk. and Mk.).

    • james_snapp_jr
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2009
        Over at TC-Alternate, Yuri chimed in, pointing out that the transcript of Codex Vercellensis has nothing to do with Andreas Birch; the online two-volume transcript is the one that was made by Irici in 1748.

        You can reach Irici's transcript of Codex Vercellensis by going to Google Books, setting the search-filter to "Full view only," and searching for "Evangeliorum Codex Vercellensis." Look at entry #9. It should be "Sacrosanctus Evangeliorum Codex." In this entry there is a link to "More editions." Click on "More editions."

        A new screen should appear, with two entries. A new screen should appear, with two entries. Their names and descriptions are identical ("Sacrosanctus Evangeliorum Codex"), but their covers are different. These are the two volumes of Irici's page-by-page transcript
        of Codex Vercellensis.

        While you're at Google Books, you may want to run a search for
        "Evangeliorum." It returns hundreds of entries; looking through the first 100 or so, I found the following, only some of which I have looked at to identify confidently:

        #14 = OL Codex Vindobonensis
        #20 = Old Slav Gospels
        #32 = OL Codex Ussherianus (T. K. Abbott)
        #34 = Horne's Intro to NT (I'm not sure what volume this is)
        #37 = Codex Rossanensis
        #38 = Arabic Diatessaron, I think
        #40 = Gothic Codex Argenteus
        #42 = Latin Vulgate, Sixtus edition
        #46 = Codex Sangallensis (Delta) – Rettig, facsimile
        #48 = Philoxenian Syriac
        #55 = OL Codex Vindobonensis (again)
        #59 = Arabic Diatessaron with Ciasca's Latin translation (1888)
        #60 = something by J. A. Schmeller: possibly a transcript of Codex Fuldensis.
        #64 = Codex Vindobonensis (again)
        #89 = Curetonian Syriac
        #101 = Codex Palatinus (I think)

        Oh, and Yuri also provided links directly to volumes 1 and 2 of Irici's transcript of Codex Vercellensis:

        Vol. 1 = http://books.google.ca/books?id=uvf-uIfdaWkC

        Vol. 2 = http://books.google.ca/books?id=EVdsumdyO6wC