St. Teilo's Gospels, also called the St. Chad's Gospels

  • james_snapp_jr
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2009
      At Google Books you can find "The Celtic Gospels," written by Lemuel J. Hopkins-James in 1934. Hopkins-James provides a helpful survey of Old Latin witnesses, a review of the history of the intermingling of the Old Latin and Vulgate, and a transcription of the St. Teilo's Gospels, also known as the Book of Saint Chad or the St. Chad's Gospels.

      St. Teilo's Gospels contain an interesting text. Hopkins-James mentions a couple of very intriguing observations, as he begins chapter five:

      "In collating St. Matthew of Teilo=Chad with the Vulgate of Wordsworth and White I have noticed 1,920 variations from the text there set forth and have traced 734 or 38 percent of them to Old Latin MSS."

      "In St. Mark, Teilo=Chad varies from the Clementine Vulgate in 1,354 places, of which 578, or 42 percent of the variations, can be traced to Old Latin MSS."

      That's a lot.

      A couple of pages from the St. Teilo/Chad Gospels are presented by Hopkins-James in black and white plates, including a page containing the last part of Mark 16:20. But I think there is a way to view much more of this Latin manuscript. At the Lichfield Cathedral website, there is a Turning-the-Pages presentation of the St. Chad's Gospels. You need a high-speed connection and the Shockwave download to use it. I haven't seen it, but if it is operational, and if it is anything like the online Turning-the-Pages presentation of the Lindisfarne Gospels, it should be pretty impressive.

      Curtisville Christian Church
      Indiana (USA)
    • John McChesney-Young
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2009
        On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 4:38 PM, james_snapp_jr <voxverax@...>
        wrote in very small part:

        > At Google Books you can find "The Celtic Gospels," written by Lemuel J. Hopkins-James in 1934. ...

        Although the work has in fact been digitized by Google Books:

        http://books.google.com/books?id=YFgaAAAAMAAJ

        I could only find it in snippet view there. (That's not to say it's
        not there in full *somewhere*; searching Google Books can be
        problematic because of quirky metadata.) However, it's available in
        full from the Internet Archive:

        http://www.archive.org/details/MN41398ucmf_5

        There's also a paper reprint available for a remarkably modest $20 (list $25):

        http://www.scholarsbookshelf.com/item.asp?userid=&newbooks=0&bargain=0&method=sub&pageid=6&subjectid=125&catid=0&itemid=21893
        or
        http://preview.tinyurl.com/y8tccas

        John
        --
        John McChesney-Young ** Berkeley, California, U.S.A.
        JMcCYoung~at~gmail.com ** http://twitter.com/jmccyoung