Re: [textualcriticism] Metzger quote

  • goranson@duke.edu
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 15, 2009
      It's also on page 216 in the 1964 edition

      Stephen

      Quoting Tommy Wasserman <tomwas@...>:

      > Currently I am writing a historical survey as part of an essay and I am
      > citing Metzger's introduction:
      >

      > Though most scholars have abandoned Hort's optimistic view that codex
      > Vaticanus (B) contains the original text almost unchanged except for
      > splips of the pen, they are still inclined to regard the Alexandrian
      > text as on the whole the best ancient recension and the one most nearly
      > approaching the original ...
      >

      > This is on p. 216 in the second edition (1968) of The Text of the New
      > Testament: Its Transmission, Corruption, and Restoration. Can someone
      > tell me on what page this is in the first edition of 1964, to which I
      > don't have access?
      >

      > Tommy Wasserman
      >

      > <P><p><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"
      > style="font-size:13.5px">_______________________________________________________________<BR><a style="font-family: Tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; color: #00f" href="http://www.sotare.nu" target="_blank">Vill du bli sotare? Klicka
      > här!</a></font>

    • james_snapp_jr
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 15, 2009
        Tommy,

        In the 1964 edition of Metzger's "The Text of the New Testament" (subtitled "Its Transmission, Corruption, and Restoration"), the following statement is found on p. 216, as the only sentence in a paragraph that begins on the 12th line on the page:

        "Though most scholars have abandoned Hort's optimistic view
        that codex Vaticanus (B) contains the original text almost un-
        changed except for slips of the pen, they are still inclined to
        regard the Alexandrian text as on the whole the best ancient
        recension and the one most nearly approximating the original."