BAR on Secret Mark

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 2009

      Timo S. Paananen informs us on his blog that

      BAR, Biblical Archaeology Review, November / December 2009 issue has a special section titled

      "Secret Mark" - A Modern Forgery?

      with four new articles concerning the question of authenticity of the Secret Gospel of Mark. From the website:

      "Secret Mark": An Amazing Discovery

      By Charles Hedrick

      Southwest Missouri State University professor Charles Hedrick opens the discussion by setting the stage for us, as we asked him to do, without revealing his own belief in the authenticity of Secret Mark.

      "Secret Mark": Morton Smith - Forger

      By Hershel Shanks

      In true BAR fashion, we wanted to present the case for a forgery, a position numerous scholars hold. After being turned down by three major scholars who embrace this position, editor Hershel Shanks undertook to summarize the evidence himself.

      "Secret Mark": Was Morton Smith a Great Thespian and I a Complete Fool?

      By Helmut Koester

      Harvard professor Helmut Koester presents a fascinating textual analysis of Secret Mark. Koester includes an account of his relationship with Columbia professor Morton Smith who discovered Secret Mark (or forged it) and why he believes it is authentic.

      "Secret Mark": Restoring a Dead Scholar’s Reputation

      By Hershel Shanks

      Hershel Shanks reveals his own conclusion about Secret Mark as a result of his study of the opposing arguments.

      http://salainenevankelista.blogspot.com/

      and

      http://www.bib-arch.org/bar/article.asp?PubID=BSBA&Volume=35&Issue=06&ArticleID=21&Page=0&UserID=0&

      Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany