Verbal Criticism?

  • socius72
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 6, 2009
      Leon Vaganay and Christian-Bernard Amphoux's "An Introduction to the New Testament Textual Criticism" spoke of verbal criticism to describe the sources of corruption (the study of scribal habits). This is the first time i've heard of the term "verbal criticism" to describe the study of scribal habits. Was Vagnay the first to use this term or did others use it before him? Who uses this term now? My search so far has come up empty.

      Thanks in advance
      Joe
    • Eddie Mishoe
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 6, 2009
        Joe,

        I consulted Dr. Google and found these two references. There were others...

        Obviously this expression is quite old, at least as old as Philip Schaff's book, A Companion to the Greek Testament. This book is dated in the 1880's. Verbal is used as a synonym for Textual.

        In An Introduction to NT Textual Criticism, by Leon Vaganay, first published in the 1980's, there is a Chapter titled, Verbal Criticism.

        Eddie Mishoe
        Pastor

      • Heterodoxus
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 6, 2009
          We all know what verbal criticism is and how it can effect one mentally. But as to its application to scribal habits, I located no direct reference that term in Burgon's Causes of the Corruption of the Traditional Text of the Holy Gospels, my few on-hand works by Ehrman and Metzger, or via a global WWW search.

          Pat

          --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "socius72" <crepuscule30@...> wrote, in part:

          > This is the first time i've heard of the term "verbal criticism" to describe the study of scribal habits. Was Vagnay the first to use this term or did others use it before him? Who uses this term now?

        • David Robert Palmer
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 6, 2009
            "Verbal Criticism" must be the study of the effect of dictation errors.  One person reads the source document and another writes down what is heard.  Some vowels and dipthongs came to sound like others, from the changes in Greek.   Ancient Greek had more differentientiation of vowels, but due to later processes like itacism in which the points of articulation of many vowels moved forward and upward in the mouth, many vowels and dipthongs sounded like others, so when read aloud, the hearer could mistake one word for another, and write down the wrong words or letters.

            David Robert Palmer
          • TeunisV
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 7, 2009
              The best we can do is to read Vaganay/Amphoux carefully, p. 52:

              Chapter 2: The method of textaul criticism. ... Verbal criticism, external criticism and internal critcicism will sometimes be seen to work hand in hand.
              ... Verbal criticism: In order to re-establish in its orignal purity an ancient text which has been handed down to us in a more or less altered state, the critic must first of all study the sources of corruption in manuscripts. This is what is called verbal criticism. For secular writings in Greek and Latin, lists have been drawn up with the most likely corrections, all catalogued in alphabetical and metholological order. It is lists of this kind, such are found in L. Havet's Manuel de critique verbale (1911, reprint 1967) for Latin texts, which prove to be the most helpful mentor for learning how to restore a document to its original form. For the New Testament, however, verbal criticism is rarely exclusive. Some scholars, such as J. Duplacy, would even advocate doing away with verbal criticism altoghether.

              And p. 79:
              ... verbal criticism, which is, after all, only a limited and negative form of internal criticism.

              Teunis van Lopik

              --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "socius72" <crepuscule30@...> wrote:

              > Leon Vaganay and Christian-Bernard Amphoux's "An Introduction to the New Testament Textual Criticism" spoke of verbal criticism to describe the sources of corruption (the study of scribal habits). This is the first time i've heard of the term "verbal criticism" to describe the study of scribal habits. Was Vagnay the first to use this term or did others use it before him? Who uses this term now? My search so far has come up empty.
              >
              > Thanks in advance
              > Joe

            • TeunisV
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 7, 2009
                ... and google with "critique verbale" testament and find http://www.uclouvain.be/cours-2009-theo2452.html , the University of Louvain programm includes:
                La partie théorique sera divisée en quatre chapitres. Le premier dressera l'inventaire des matériaux: les manuscrits grecs (papyrus, onciaux, minuscules, lectionnaires), les versions anciennes (latines, syriaques, coptes, gotique, arméniennes, géorgiennes) et les citations patristiques (Pères grecs, latins et syriaques). Le second chapitre sera consacré à la méthode (critique verbale, critique externe, critique interne, choix de la méthode éclectique). Le troisième présentera l'histoire du texte manuscrit (en particulier les grandes recensions anciennes). Le dernier fera le point sur les éditions imprimées et les projets en cours.

                Try also critica verborum and find: http://www.fachpublikation.de/dokumente/01/1a/01029.html :
                Von einer Kritik der Worte (critica verborum) bei Platon spricht Johannes Binder im Jahre 1791 [!] in seiner Abhandlung Commentatio de Politeia.

                So, the line is clear: verbal criticism is from the 19th century applied for Greek and Latin (profan) texts and the method is with varying success used for the NT text. Conjectural emendation is of course closely related with the issue.

                Teunis van Lopik