numerals

  • sda432
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 21, 2005
      I've been working on the textual variants with the bracketed KAI in
      John 5:5, Rev 11:2, and Rev 13:5. I've noticed that numbers in the
      NT are normally written without KAI. Was this also the case in
      secular Koine and Patristic Greek? In other words, would scribes be
      more likely to omit KAI than to add it, particularly if they were
      writing out numerals? Thanks,

      Steven Anderson
    • mjriii2003
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 21, 2005
        Dear Steve,

        Below are some passages in biblical literature which might help -
        but by no means solve your question.

        2 Chronicles 2:16 (LXX); Apoc 13:18; Apoc 7,4; John 21:11; 1 Cor
        10:8; Apc 5:11.

        I suspect that the editors left the [kai] in the text because of its
        old and unknown origin - as they explicitly state.

        As far as the use of kai in conjunction with numerials in historical
        Greek usage I'll leave that to you for your further investigation.

        Cordially in Christ,

        Malcolm

        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "sda432" <sda432@n...>