RE: [textualcriticism] Re: Problems with Phi 043

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 2, 2009
      Robert Relyea wrote:
      > After a page or two, you would quickly learn to look to the right
      > first then come back and finish on the left before turning the page.

      I now understand your model. That's in fact possible!
      But that would be a very strange book, wouldn't it?

      Tony Pope wrote:
      > Batiffol's 1886 edition of Phi/043 is available on-line and can be
      > downloaded as .pdf at

      http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k96302s.image.r=Batiffol.langEN.f2.pagi
      nation

      Thank you very much for this link!
      That's very helpful!

      In the introduction I cannot find anything that points to reading from the
      right to the left. Also from the notation of the folio numbers in his text I
      take it that Batiffol did not see anything problematic in this codex. The
      text smoothly goes on from one folio to the next.

      The only other explanation I can come up with:
      As Daniel Buck has already pointed out, every folio consists of two sheets
      glued together.
      At some point in the history of the codex, after Batiffol, someone or
      something took them apart, perhaps water damage, and the sheets have then
      been put together in the wrong way. But is this reasonable?

      I still think that I have overlooked something.

      --------------------------
      Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
      mailto:wie@...
      http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/
    • Dirk Jongkind
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 2, 2009
        Are you sure this is not simply a mistake in the numbering of the pics on the CSNTM website? It would be the simplest solution.

        cheers
        dirk

        Comment by Wieland:
        I agree and of course I thought about that, but this is not the case. Looking at the images it is clear that what they call "b" is the verso of "a".

        Tony Pope wrote:
        > Batiffol's 1886 edition of Phi/043 is available on-line and can be
        > downloaded as .pdf at

        http://gallica. bnf.fr/ark: /12148/bpt6k9630 2s.image. r=Batiffol. langEN.f2. pagi
        nation

        Thank you very much for this link!
        That's very helpful!

        In the introduction I cannot find anything that points to reading from the
        right to the left. Also from the notation of the folio numbers in his text I
        take it that Batiffol did not see anything problematic in this codex. The
        text smoothly goes on from one folio to the next.

        The only other explanation I can come up with:
        As Daniel Buck has already pointed out, every folio consists of two sheets
        glued together.
        At some point in the history of the codex, after Batiffol, someone or
        something took them apart, perhaps water damage, and the sheets have then
        been put together in the wrong way. But is this reasonable?

        I still think that I have overlooked something.

        ------------ --------- -----
        Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
        mailto:wie@uni-bremen. de
        http://www.uni- bremen.de/ ~wie
        Textcritical commentary:
        http://www.uni- bremen.de/ ~wie/TCG/

        --
        Dirk Jongkind, PhD
        Fellow and Tutor, St. Edmund's College

      • Daniel B. Wallace
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 2, 2009
          Well, the Chinese bound this MS, so maybe that explains things?

          dbw

          ----- End Original Message -----