Re: [textualcriticism] Vaticanus Color PDF

  • James Miller
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 6, 2009
      Thanks for the link, Wieland. I'd like to add a couple of clarifications. First, these are rather low resolution images so, though the text is largely readable, finer details are fuzzy. More importantly, it would have been better to state that this pdf contains only the NT portion of Vaticanus. This list might focus primarily on NT textual criticism, but let's not lose sight of the fact that this manuscript contains nearly the entirety of the OT (which occupies, in fact, a much larger percentage of its volume) as well. So, instead of being a pdf of Vaticanus, this file actually contains only about one fifth of that manuscript (617 leaves are OT texts, 142 NT texts, according to the wikipedia article). That said, if you happen to find a download for some or all of the OT portion of Vaticanus, I, for one, would be most interested.

      Thanks,
      James

      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 7, 2009
        I have some digital copies of the 1904 facsimile of the OT that I would be happy to make available if someone with reasonable bandwidth would like to host them. It's not great resolution (just over 100 dpi), but most writing is clear. Some of the smaller notes are harder to read. I have one or 2 pages that are filled with notes in more like 250 dpi).

        bob

        On 08/07/2009 07:32 AM, scottfreedlun wrote:
        Is this facsimile available?
        "In 1889-1890 a photographic facsimile of the whole manuscript was made and published by Cozza-Luzi, in three volumes." -Wiki article

        It seems to be out of copyright, but little mention of it is made.

        In addition, is there a better version of the Alexandrinus OT? The version I have is such poor quality to make it barely usable.

        Perhaps the lack of availability of these is the limited interest in OT/LXX TC???

        Sorry for the many questions, but you have proven to be a knowledgeable group. ;-)

        Scott

        --------------------------
        Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
        mailto:wie@...
        http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:textualcriticism-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:textualcriticism-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • rodrigoarthurdsmelo
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 7, 2009
          I found some facsimiles of OT Vaticanus, but they dont have quality. I will find other facsimiles and send to the group.

          [EDIT by Wieland: Please do not send large PDFs to the group. Only links please.]

          All Best Wishes

          --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Robert Relyea <bob@...> wrote:

          > I have some digital copies of the 1904 facsimile of the OT that I would
          > be happy to make available if someone with reasonable bandwidth would
          > like to host them. It's not great resolution (just over 100 dpi), but
          > most writing is clear. Some of the smaller notes are harder to read. I
          > have one or 2 pages that are filled with notes in more like 250 dpi).
          >
          > bob
          >
          > On 08/07/2009 07:32 AM, scottfreedlun wrote:
          > > Is this facsimile available?
          > > "In 1889-1890 a photographic facsimile of the whole manuscript was made and published by Cozza-Luzi, in three volumes." -Wiki article
          > >
          > > It seems to be out of copyright, but little mention of it is made.
          > >
          > > In addition, is there a better version of the Alexandrinus OT? The version I have is such poor quality to make it barely usable.
          > >
          > > Perhaps the lack of availability of these is the limited interest in OT/LXX TC???
          > >
          > > Sorry for the many questions, but you have proven to be a knowledgeable group. ;-)
          > >
          > > Scott
          > >

          > > --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Wieland Willker"<wie@> wrote:
          > >
          > >> I have found that the 1968 color edition of Vaticanus can be downloaded
          > >> here:
          > >>
          > >> http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/124461/Vaticanus-1968-pdf.html
          > >>
          > >> (Alert! 200 MB, you have to wait 30 sec. before you can download it.)
          > >>

          > >> Best wishes
          > >> Wieland
          > >> <><
          > >> --------------------------
          > >> Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
          > >> mailto:wie@
          > >> http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
          > >> Textcritical commentary:
          > >> http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/

        • Gelu Georgescu
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 9, 2009
            Hello!

            I'm new in your group and one of my main interests is exactly the Vaticanus. More precisely, I am interested in the text of Daniel as it appears in codex B, because of the big discussion about the shift from LXX to Theodotion in the entire Church before the 5th century. Information about the character of Daniel in codex B is not univocal, sources do not agree which other. So I'll ask you for a little (in fact, lot of) help and tell me how can I find a facsimile of Daniel from Vaticaus.

            Yours sincerely

            Gelu Georgescu

            I have some space that we can use depending of course on the popularity of the download. Of course I am really looking forward to getting a copy myself.

            How big is the file? I can set up a spot for it. You can email me for upload location.

            Scott

            ------------ --------- -----

                http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/textualcri ticism/join
[...]

          • Robert Relyea
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 10, 2009
              On 08/07/2009 11:29 PM, Scott Freedlun wrote:
              I have some space that we can use depending of course on the popularity of the download. Of course I am really looking forward to getting a copy myself.

              How big is the file? I can set up a spot for it. You can email me for upload location.

              Scott

              It's not a single file. Its a set of .jpgs of an open double page of the facsimile. -- 600 images at about 2 Mb/image totalling about 1.4 Gb. I'll send you a url later this week (right now my wife is out of the country and uses our server to communicate with me. A massive download by one person from that server would put it out of commission for a day or two:(.

              bob
            • rodrigoarthurdsmelo
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 12, 2009
                Im sorry! I dont found no one good facsimile of OT Vaticanus, only transcriptions.

                Evedbory already know this link
                http://rosetta.reltech.org/TC/Ebind/docs/TC/

                And...
                http://www.linguistsoftware.com/codexvat.htm

                God bless you
              • Kent Clarke
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 25, 2009
                  Thanks for this Bob and Scott. Much appreciated!

                  If the images are of high enough quality, and are out of copyright, I'm wondering if they can't be more permanently uploaded to the TC-Ebind site or the CSNTM site.

                  Warm Regards;

                  Kent

                  Kent D. Clarke
                  B.F. Westcott Professor of New Testament Textual
                  Criticism, Greek Languages, and Hermeneutics
                  Trinity Western University
                  Seal Kap House
                  Langley, BC
                  V2Y 1Y1, Canada
                  (604) 513-2121 (Ext. 3116)

                  > It's not a single file. Its a set of .jpgs of an open double page of the
                  > facsimile. -- 600 images at about 2 Mb/image totalling about 1.4 Gb.
                  > I'll send you a url later this week (right now my wife is out of the
                  > country and uses our server to communicate with me. A massive download
                  > by one person from that server would put it out of commission for a day
                  > or two:(.
                  >
                  > bob

                  Bob Relyea has kindly let me download and re-post the jpgs of Vaticanus OT I have placed it as a .rar file here:

                  http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/750862/MSS/Vaticanus.rar

                  As he mentioned, it is about 1.4GB. It's on Dropbox, which says there are problems with bandwidth, but we'll see.

                  Also, as was discussed before, I don't know the copyright status of this publication. But as it apparently is the 1904 edition there should be no problem. If there is, let us know. Otherwise enjoy!

                  Scott

                  BTW-Still looking for a better copy of the Alexandrinus OT. Only the fist volume is available on the Internet Archive and the quality is poor to say the least.
                • rodrigoarthurdsmelo
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 26, 2009
                    Thanks for this Bob and Scott!

                    I put it where I can read with the zoom. Everyone can read the photos photos with zoom, and download too. To use the zoom you must be logged.

                    The link:
                    http://www.photoshop.com/user/rodrigoarthur/?wf=share&trackingid=BTAGC&galleryid=ea65cbaa9d0f4433be492b44dc8736d4

                    --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "scottfreedlun" <scottfreedlun@...> wrote:

                    > --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Kent Clarke <kentc@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for this Bob and Scott. Much appreciated!
                    > >
                    > > If the images are of high enough quality, and are out of copyright, I'm wondering if they can't be more permanently uploaded to the TC-Ebind site or the CSNTM site.
                    > >
                    > > Warm Regards;
                    > >
                    > > Kent
                    > >
                    > UPDATE:
                    >
                    > Although the server said there were no bandwidth restrictions, I received an email this morning informing me that the link pulled in too much traffic. !?
                    >
                    > I have sent an email to CSNTM about their hosting the images. I'll post when I hear more.
                    >
                    > PS: Was anyone able to download the file? If so send me an email, I'd just like to know if they allowed several, then stopped, or stopped after several attempts.

                  • clearbrush
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 26, 2009

                      Bob, Scott, Wieland, and list;

                      May I join with Kent in conveying my appreciation also.

                      With a 100 mb/sec connection, I was able to download the 1.4 Gb file in about 30 minutes; with a download transfer just under 700 kb/sec.

                      But then I had to download and install the unzip program for the *.rar format – a free trial version, from http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm, which took another 30 minutes.

                      In about an hour, without any problem, I was looking at surprisingly high quality images.

                      I would differ from Kent per his suggestion of putting the file on the CSNTM site; from which I have been downloading Codex Alexandrinus. Having to download one image at a time on their site is quite tedious; and I believe Scott's system of one large file is much better; providing one has a high speed connection, and the unzip utility.

                      I was awed to discover sections in the Vaticanus O.T., that in contrast to the N.T.; had escaped the action of a malevolent re-inking of a [per NTS (2000) Vol 46, pp. 159-74, Cambridge] - "15th Century monk". It is now possible to clearly see in these sections that had escaped re-inking - the beautiful calligraphy employed in the production of this manuscript.

                      The thinking of F.G. Kenyon comes to mind – what are the options for the provenance of the original publishing facility of this manuscript, whose requirements at that time, would have been – collecting, evaluating, and assembling all the Greek Biblical Books included in the present Christian Canon ? And then; publishing it with the highest quality ?

                      Alexandria ? Rome ? Or, Constantinople ?

                      George Eller

                      p.s. Lobegott von Tischendorf would be proud.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 26, 2009
                        I tried last night to download the file. It worked well almost till the end, but finally I failed because I didn't have enough... space on disk (yes, it's true!). So the file could be downloaded last night.

                        However, thank you so much for such a huge effort!

                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 26, 2009
                          On 08/26/2009 07:50 AM, scottfreedlun wrote:
                          > --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Kent Clarke<kentc@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> Thanks for this Bob and Scott. Much appreciated!
                          >>
                          >> If the images are of high enough quality, and are out of copyright, I'm wondering if they can't be more permanently uploaded to the TC-Ebind site or the CSNTM site.
                          >>
                          >> Warm Regards;
                          >>
                          >> Kent
                          >>

                          > UPDATE:
                          >
                          > Although the server said there were no bandwidth restrictions, I received an email this morning informing me that the link pulled in too much traffic. !?
                          >
                          > I have sent an email to CSNTM about their hosting the images. I'll post when I hear more.
                          >
                          > PS: Was anyone able to download the file? If so send me an email, I'd just like to know if they allowed several, then stopped, or stopped after several attempts.

                          I doubt that the images are appropriate for CSNTM for a couple of reasons:

                          1) They usually shoot images these days at 25 Mp, one page/image. I shot
                          these at 12 Mp 2 pages/image.
                          2) The images are all from the OT, and the CSNTM focuses on New
                          Testament manuscripts. (I'm still trying to find a copy of the 1904 NT
                          Vaticanus, so far I've only seen the 1968 facsimile - though if anyone
                          knows were one is, I suspect that the CSNTM would be will to photograph it).

                          TC EBind is probably a better place. I had tried to contact the people
                          at the Biblical Manuscripts Project, but didn't get any response.

                          bob
                        • Kent Clarke

                            May I join with Kent in conveying my appreciation also.

                            With a 100 mb/sec connection, I was able to download the 1.4 Gb file in about 30 minutes; with a download transfer just under 700 kb/sec.

                            But then I had to download and install the unzip program for the *.rar format – a free trial version, from http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm, which took another 30 minutes.

                            In about an hour, without any problem, I was looking at surprisingly high quality images.

                            I would differ from Kent per his suggestion of putting the file on the CSNTM site; from which I have been downloading Codex Alexandrinus. Having to download one image at a time on their site is quite tedious; and I believe Scott's system of one large file is much better; providing one has a high speed connection, and the unzip utility.

                            I was awed to discover sections in the Vaticanus O.T., that in contrast to the N.T.; had escaped the action of a malevolent re-inking of a [per NTS (2000) Vol 46, pp. 159-74, Cambridge] - "15th Century monk". It is now possible to clearly see in these sections that had escaped re-inking - the beautiful calligraphy employed in the production of this manuscript.

                            The thinking of F.G. Kenyon comes to mind – what are the options for the provenance of the original publishing facility of this manuscript, whose requirements at that time, would have been – collecting, evaluating, and assembling all the Greek Biblical Books included in the present Christian Canon ? And then; publishing it with the highest quality ?

                            Alexandria ? Rome ? Or, Constantinople ?

                            George Eller

                            p.s. Lobegott von Tischendorf would be proud.

                            --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "scottfreedlun" <scottfreedlun@...> wrote:

                            > --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Kent Clarke kentc@ wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Thanks for this Bob and Scott. Much appreciated!
                            > >
                            > > If the images are of high enough quality, and are out of copyright, I'm wondering if they can't be more permanently uploaded to the TC-Ebind site or the CSNTM site.
                            > >
                            > > Warm Regards;
                            > >
                            > > Kent
                            > >
                            > UPDATE:
                            >
                            > Although the server said there were no bandwidth restrictions, I received an email this morning informing me that the link pulled in too much traffic. !?
                            >
                            > I have sent an email to CSNTM about their hosting the images. I'll post when I hear more.
                            >
                            > PS: Was anyone able to download the file? If so send me an email, I'd just like to know if they allowed several, then stopped, or stopped after several attempts.

                          • yennifmit
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 27, 2009
                              Dear Robert,

                              Jimmy Adair is in the process of moving the RelTech servers to a new hosting company. While that's happening the BibleMSS site will be offline.

                              Best,

                              Tim Finney

                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 27, 2009

                                Now you can all check for yourself what I wrote here:

                                http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/Vaticanus/observations-OT.html

                                Comments welcome!

                                mailto:wie@...

                                http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie