Re: Chrysostom quote

  • Daniel
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 31, 2009
      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, goranson@... wrote:
      > According to T.J. Buckton in Notes & Queries ser.1.V.117 (1852) p.92 it is "probably...at second or third hand, and with rhetorical embellishments...an expression of St. Chrysostom, in his third homily on the Acts of the Apostles:....'I know not if there be many in the priesthood who are saved, but I know that many more perish'."<

      Looking at the problem textually, the last two stages in the recension seem to be:

      -The road to hell is paved with the souls of priests-
      -The road to hell is paved with the skulls of priests-

      Daniel Buck
    • andrewcriddle
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2009
        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel" <bucksburg@...> wrote:

        > Looking at the problem textually, the last two stages in the recension seem to be:
        >
        > -The road to hell is paved with the souls of priests-
        > -The road to hell is paved with the skulls of priests-
        >
        > Daniel Buck

        Both forms are found in early printed texts of the Wesley's works
        See http://tinyurl.com/kpmz7h

        Andrew Criddle
      • andrewcriddle
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3, 2009
          --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "andrewcriddle" <sarban@...> wrote:

          > --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel" <bucksburg@> wrote:
          > >

          > > Looking at the problem textually, the last two stages in the recension seem to be:
          > >
          > > -The road to hell is paved with the souls of priests-
          > > -The road to hell is paved with the skulls of priests-
          > >
          > > Daniel Buck
          > >
          > Both forms are found in early printed texts of the Wesley's works
          > See http://tinyurl.com/kpmz7h
          >
          > Andrew Criddle

          The Works of John Wesley v. 26 p.237 (OUP 1982) has a footnote that the reading 'souls', '... is almost certainly a misreading of Wesley's tremulous writing of 'sculls'...'. The note goes on that various Victorian writers agree in referring this proverb to St. Chrysostom, '...but so far this has not been traced in his writings'.

          Andrew Criddle