Re: Eznik of Golb, the Diatessaron, and Jonah 3:4

  • James Snapp, Jr.
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 16, 2009
      Andrew Criddle,

      I dunno; Eznik's text, from the quotations I've found so far, don't look obviously harmonized so far - - but I've just begun reading, so that may change. God willing, I'll have a chance to read at leisure soon, and should report back after that.

      If Eznik *is* using the Diatessaron, then "De Deo" is an important Diatessaronic witness, and may be the most ignored Diatessaronic witness ever! But, after 430, Eznik had access to the "authentic copies" from Constantinople, so we might expect a variety of citation-sources -- like one might see from a scholar who was trained using the KJV, and who still uses the KJV when recollecting Scripture, but who, when making extensive quotations, might use some newer version.

      It's an intriguing text and should be fun to analyze.

      Already I found something else interesting: In De Deo ch. 215 (Blanchard-Young p. 128) Eznik seems to think that Jonah told the people of Nineveh that Nineveh would be overthrown in three days, rather than 40. He must have known the LXX; that is its reading, iirc.

      Now, three days, when you think about it, interlocks with the narrative flow better than 40 days. I wonder if we should consider "3" a strong contending variant there.