Re: Coptic Encomium Attributed to Chrysostom

  • andrewcriddle
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 4, 2009
      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "James Snapp, Jr." <voxverax@...> wrote:

      > Andrew,
      >
      > Thanks. Is there anything else in the text that indicates non-Chrysostomness? The "time" in "Before our time" might be intended to mean nothing more than a particular time when the text was preached.
      >
      > As you say, the Cyril could be Cyril of Jerusalem. Chrysostom could express respect for Theophilus out of respect for the office, and there's no reason to suppose that Innocent only began to write when he began his bishopric.
      >
      > Could the phrase "That is to say, Athanasius, and Theophilus, and Cyril, and Innocent,"" be a (slightly) later insertion?
      >
      > If this text is not the work of Chrysostom, by whom and where is it supposed to have been composed?
      >
      > Yours in Christ,
      >
      > James Snapp, Jr.

      Hi James

      There is an online article about the Coptic works attributed to Chrysostom at
      http://www.dacb.org/stories/non%20africans/john_chrysostom.html
      (taken from the Coptic Encyclopedia.)

      It classes the enconium on John the Baptist among works that are
      <QUOTE>certainly spurious but were also most probably composed directly in Coptic no earlier than the mid-sixth century.</QUOTE>

      Andrew Criddle