Old Latin manuscript 5

  • David Robert Palmer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2009
      If any list member is an expert on old Latin manuscripts, please help.  List members Richard Wilson and Daniel Buck have been proof-reading my translaiton and critical apparatus of 3 John, and there is some question whether the Latin side of Codex Bezae Cantabrigiensis (D) is the same as Old Latin manuscript 5, known as "itd" in the NA27 critical apparatus.

      The ECP cites L:D in its apparatus, and says that refers to the Latin text of Codex Bezae (D).  The NA27 says itd is a V century manuscript that is in the Cambridge University Library, ms. No. II 41.  That is the same manuscript number and location as Codex Bezae.  The NA27 also indicates that itd contains 3 John 11-15, which does correspond to the places where the ECP cites L:V.

      However if the two sigla do refer to the same manuscript, then there is a disagreement between the ECP and the NA27 in a variant in the last word of 3 John 14.  There the ECP says L:D supports the variant LALHSOMEN, whereas the NA27 says itd supports LALHSAI.

      3 John download link:

      David Robert Palmer