Work on Rev. text?

  • WFWarren@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 11, 2005
      I recall either on this list or another a message that said that work was being started on the text of Revelation for the Swanson series. I would like to make contact with this person due to having a Ph.D. student with interest in working on an aspect of the text of Rev. If someone could send me the info or a contact e-mail address, I would most appreciate it. Thanks.

      paz,

      Bill Warren
      http://www.nobts.edu/cntts
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 11, 2005
        > work was being started on the text of Revelation for the
        > Swanson series.

        This must be very recent news, since in January Swanson finished 2nd Corinthians. I would expect Ephesians next. He has no email, AFAIK.

        mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
      • Timothy Arthur Brown
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 11, 2005
          Hello Bill,

          Swanson has a younger colleague working with him named Kent Clarke who
          may be able to give you some definitive answers. His e-mail address is
          kentc@... and his phone number is 604-888-7511, ext. 3116.

          T. A. Brown
          Franconia, New Hampshire USA

          WFWarren@... wrote:

          > I recall either on this list or another a message that said that work
          > was being started on the text of Revelation for the Swanson series. I
          > would like to make contact with this person due to having a Ph.D.
          > student with interest in working on an aspect of the text of Rev. If
          > someone could send me the info or a contact e-mail address, I would
          > most appreciate it. Thanks.
          >
          > paz,
          >
          > Bill Warren
          > Director of the Center for New Testament Textual Studies
          > Landrum P. Leavell, II, Professor of New Testament and Greek
          > New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary
          > http://www.nobts.edu/cntts
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Steve Puluka
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 11, 2005
            Bill Warren WFWarren@... wrote:

            > I recall either on this list or another a message that said that work was being started on the text of Revelation for the Swanson series. I would like to make contact with this person due to having a Ph.D. student with interest in working on an aspect of the text of Rev. If someone could send me the info or a contact e-mail address, I would most appreciate it. Thanks.

            A good comprehensive work on the text of Revelation is:

            Hoskier, Herman Charles. Concerning the text of the Apocalypse:
            collations of all existing available Greek documents with the standard
            text of Stephen's third edition, together with the testimony of
            versions, commentaries and fathers; a complete conspectus of all
            authorities. 2 vols., 1929.

            I did some work with revelations last year. Here are my two footnotes
            on textual material. This is focused on chapter 12 but most of the
            resources should be useful elsewhere too.

            http://www.puluka.com/revelation12/#_ftn1

            Textual issues Footnotes:

            [1] There are about 1650 variants in only 400 verses of text, not
            including simple spelling issues. By comparison, the Catholic Epistles
            have 1100 variants in 432 verses. At the same time there are some 520
            manuscripts with the Catholic Epistles and only 230 for Revelation. For
            the manuscript evidence of the text see Isbon Thaddeus Beckwith, The
            Apocalypse of John: studies in introduction with a critical and
            exegetical commentary (New York: Macmillan & Co., 1922), 411-14. Henry
            Barclay Swete, The Apocalypse of St. John the Greek text with
            introduction, notes and indices, 3rd ed. (London: Macmillan & Co.,
            1911), clxxxvi-cxcvi. James Moffatt, "The Revelation of St. John the
            divine," in The expositor's Greek Testament, ed. W. Robertson Nicoll
            (Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 1961), 281-85. Charles details what he
            sees as interpolations into the text from the transmission process and
            dislocations of text blocks as well. Some of these dislocations in the
            closing chapters of the book affect his analysis of the structure (see
            below). He also sees lacunae in the text that sometimes accompanied by
            interpolations. None of these are in Chapter 12. Robert Henry Charles,
            A critical and exegetical commentary on the Revelation of St. John, with
            introduction, notes, and indices, also the Greek text and English
            translation, International Critical Commentary, vol. 47 (New York:
            Scribner, 1920; reprint, 1950), lvi-lxi. For a discussion of the
            grammatical issues in the text of Revelation see section 136 of BDF, F.
            Blass and A. Debrunner, A Greek grammar of the New Testament and other
            Early Christian literature, trans. Robert W Funk (Chicago: University of
            Chicago Press, 1962), 75-76. Beckwith, 222-39. Moffatt, 320-22. and
            Swete, cxxiii-cxxvi.

            [2] Some editions will include a verse 18 in Chapter 12 while others end
            at 17 and the text of verse 18 is the opening of Chapter 13. There is
            no textual difference in either case. This is simply a judgement on
            narrative transition between the two scenes. In verse 12 some important
            manuscripts drop "and half a time" from the series "time, times, and
            half a time." The longer reading is supported in the oldest witnesses
            and the omission is easily explained by scribal error on the repeating
            words. Finally, in verse 18 there is a question of who stands on the
            seashore. Does the dragon stand there before coming out of the sea as
            in the oldest extant manuscripts? Or does John stand there as in the
            majority of manuscripts in the Byzantine text type? Details on the
            supporting manuscripts for these variants in chapter 12 can be found in
            Kurt Aland and others, The Greek New Testament (London: United Bible
            Society, 1966), 864-66. Zane C. Hodges and Arthur L. Farstad, The
            Greek New Testament According to the Majority Text, ed. Harry Sturz
            (Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers, 1982), 759-61. Text critical
            details on the Bohairic versions in chapter 12 are found in Herman
            Charles Hoskier, Concerning the date of the Bohairic Version: covering a
            detailed examination of the text of the Apocalypse and a review of some
            of the writings of the Egyptian monks (London: Bernard Quaritch, 1911),
            33-40. Here Hoskier argues that the text of Sinacticus shows Coptic
            influences in the Apocalypse. In a broader text critical study Hoskier
            compiles exhaustive manuscript evidence and descriptions for the entire
            book of Revelation. This is a complete text critical collation of
            manuscript evidence, versions, and the fathers for Revelation. This
            includes a full description of all the manuscript sources. Volume one
            of this study is a catalog of manuscripts with their descriptions. The
            witnesses are all organized by family text type. Herman Charles
            Hoskier, Concerning the text of the Apocalypse: collations of all
            existing available Greek documents with the standard text of Stephen's
            third edition, together with the testimony of versions, commentaries and
            fathers; a complete conspectus of all authorities, 2 vols. vol. 1
            (1929). The second volume is the collation of the text with all
            variants in situ with notation of the source. Chapter 12 is covered
            here: Hoskier, Concerning the text of the Apocalypse: collations of all
            existing available Greek documents with the standard text of Stephen's
            third edition, together with the testimony of versions, commentaries and
            fathers; a complete conspectus of all authorities, 310-32. An
            interesting text critical debate between the Alexandrine and Byzantine
            text form of Revelation represented by Tregelles and Tomlin respectively
            is here: Jacob Tomlin, Critical remarks on Dr. Tregelles' Greek text of
            the Revelation and his two English versions compared with the Received
            Text and Authorised translation, ATLA monograph preservation program
            (Liverpool: Arthur Newling, 1865).

            --
            Steve Puluka
            Masters Student, SS Cyril & Methodius Seminary
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 11, 2005
              Dear TC list:

              I thought you all would be interested in seeing a few images of manuscripts now posted on the website of the Center for the Study of New Testament Manuscripts (www.csntm.org). These were taken with two Canon EOS 1Ds 11.1 megapixel digital cameras. A team of three people from CSNTM went to Constantinople (Istanbul) last May and took 14,000 photographs of manuscripts housed in the Ecumenical Patriarchate. The Patriarchate has graciously allowed us to post some images on our website. We are hoping to post the rest once we get word from the Patriarchate.

              Sincerely,

              Daniel B. Wallace
              Executive Director
            • WFWarren@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 11, 2005
                This is quite helpful.  Thanks for this reply as well as the others.

                paz,

                Bill Warren
                Center for New Testament Textual Studies, Director
                Landrum P. Leavell, II, Professor of NT and Greek
                WWarren@...