RE: [textualcriticism] Re: What does Apostolos mean?

  • Kevin P. Edgecomb
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 15, 2009
      Tim Finney writes:
      Thanks for the contributions so far. I am particularly seeking what this generation of textual critics means when it calls a part of the New Testament the "Apostolos". Does it mean,
      1. Paul's letters
      2. Acts and the Catholic letters
      3. everything but the Gospels?
      Souter says 1, Aland and Aland say 2, others say 3. What do you all think it means? Shouldn't we sort this out in order not to confuse students?

      I write:
      This is why the a p c r notation is used, to specify this, because the terminology is loose.  Typically an Apostolos includes *at least* Paul's Letters.  Usually the term Praxapostolos is used for those which include Acts, Paul's Letters, and the Catholic Epistles.  So far as I know, it's exceedingly rare for the Apocalypse to be included in these (I don't know that it ever is included, but I wouldn't rule it out without looking).  This is because the Apocalypse is not read from at all in the Greek lectionary, so it wasn't included in these collections: it's never a liturgical book.  So, Apostolos should be the term used to refer strictly to a collection of Paul's letters themselves, and Praxapostolos for those that include Acts, and Paul's and the Catholic Letters (and perhaps the Apocalypse, if this ever occurs).

      Regards,
      Kevin P. Edgecomb
      Berkeley, California