RE: Vaticanus & Byz in James

  • Ben & Mandy Pehrson (HF)
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7, 2005
      Dear Wieland,

      You wrote:
      > The text in NA and ECM has been created using the full arsenal of
      > textcritical methods (reasoned eclecticism plus Mink stemmatics in the
      > ECM). They are not following B "blindly". They actually are quite
      > sympathetic to the Byzantine text in the Catholics. That B comes out
      > that good is, because it IS just so good a text.

      Yes, I completely agree. In my attempt to reevaluate the readings in James
      supported by Byz over against B, I in no way mean to suggest that B is not
      an exceptionally good text. When I hypothesize that B may have been
      followed "blindly," I am suggesting this as a possibility only on a small
      scale, perhaps affecting our judgement of only a few readings. Since the
      Byzantine text is generally such a good text in the Catholics, and since the
      exceptional quality of B-especially in the Catholics-may tempt any of us to
      favor it over other well-supported readings at any particular variation
      unit, it seems reasonable to me to look at the places where the two are at
      variance and make sure that the Byz reading is getting a fair hearing,
      especially where other internal and external factors give significant
      support to the Byzantine reading.

      Regarding the use of Mink stemmatics in the ECM, could you clarify this
      point for me or point me in the right direction? This is not made clear to
      me in the Introduction to the ECM volume on James. Also, only two changes
      are suggested for James in the ECM from the NA27, and since the NA27 has
      remained unaltered from the NA26, I am unsure of how Mink stemmatics is
      involved in determining the critical text.

      Grace & peace,
      Ben

      Ben & Mandy Pehrson
      SIL P.O. Box 118