Re: [textualcriticism] Septuagint as Christian Scripture

  • Steve Puluka
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 7 12:01 PM
      K. Martin Heide wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > can anybody give a hint / recent literature how far the actual
      > discussion is on the topic of the Septuagint (LXX)
      > in relation to the New Testament:

      The relationship of the Septuagint to the New Testament and the early
      church is still an open question. This is mainly because the issue of
      text form in the Old Testament is a post-reformation problem. So there
      is just very little concern about Hebrew or Greek in the early
      centuries. In fact, the Orthodox still really haven't made a definitive
      choice in text, just in book lists.

      I'm just a student myself, but here's a reading list anyway.

      Here are some recent books on the topic:

      The first Bible of the church : a plea for the Septuagint. Mogens
      Müller. Sheffield, Eng. : Sheffield Academic Press, 1996.

      The Greek and Hebrew Bible : collected essays on the Septuagint. Emanuel
      Tov. Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 1999.

      Invitation to the Septuagint. Karen H. Jobes and Moisés Silva. Grand
      Rapids, Mich. : Baker Academic, 2000.

      The library in Alexandria and the Bible in Greek. Nina L. Collins.
      Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2000.

      The Septuagint as Christian scripture : its prehistory and the problem
      of its canon. Martin Hengel. Edinburgh : T & T Clark, 2002

      These are older, but still good and worth a look in my view.

      The Bible and the Greeks, C.H.Dodd. London, Hodder & Stoughton 1935

      The Septuagint and modern study. Sidney Jelicoe. Oxford, Clarendon P., 1968.

      Studies in the Septuagint: origins, recensions, and interpretations;
      selected essays, with a prolegomenon. Sidney Jelicoe. New York, Ktav
      Pub. House [1974]

      Introduction to the Old Testament in Greek. H.B. Swete. Cambridge
      University Press, 1900.

      Some aspects of the Greek Old Testament. J. Thackeray. London : George
      Allen & Unwin, 1927.

      --
      Steve Puluka
      Masters Student, SS Cyril & Methodius Seminary
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 8 2:06 AM
        Dear Steve and Malcolm,

        thanx for all the hints and literature. I looked a little bit around myself
        to "auditur et altera pars". IMO, there is too much unreflected bias for the LXX
        (though it may well be, that in the last decades, it was the other way round and the
        Massoretic text was seen too much as the only representative of the OT).

        One of the most interesting studies seems to be Lundboms commentary on Jeremiah (Anchor Bible Series),
        where he shows again and again, that in Jeremiah the LXX is based often on a flawed Vorlage that has a lot of
        haplographies, and the Messoretic text is generally, though not always, to be preferred. (see also the SBL review
        for his commentary). I thought there are more studies like that around, going very much into detail etc.

        Martin