Birmingham manuscript seminars

  • Hugh Houghton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2009
      Dear all,

      Following my previous message about the Codex Sinaiticus conference,
      please may I also draw your attention to two one-day events in
      Birmingham in early July:

      Wednesday, 8 July: a day focusing on the Mingana Collection, to
      celebrate the launch of the first phase of the Virtual Manuscript
      Room, a resource on the internet for scholars working with manuscripts
      and texts (for details see http://arts-itsee.bham.ac.uk/vmrsite/).
      Speakers include a number of experts in Arabic texts and manuscripts.
      Details will appear shortly via the VMR link. If you are interested in
      attending, please contact Ms Frouke Schrijver (fxs821@...).

      Thursday, 9 July: The International Greek New Testament Project is
      hosting a one-day seminar. The subject is a single Greek manuscript of
      the Gospels, Birmingham University Library, Mingana MS Peckover Gr. 7
      (Gregory-Aland 713 and L586). A number of speakers will discuss
      different aspects of the manuscript, including its miniatures, a
      comparison between the art-historical and textual evidence (Kathleen
      Maxwell), the recent history (Lionel North), the palaeography
      (possibly D.C. Parker - but this paper is open to offers), the
      lectionary evidence and the palimpsested manuscript (Chris Jordan),
      the textual history (Klaus Wachtel), the possible Diatessaronic unique
      logion of Jesus at Mt 17.21, together with its relationship to the
      Syriac and Armenian versions of Ephrem's commentary (Ulrich Schmid and
      David Taylor). Then we will assess where this integrated approach to
      MS and textual study has got us to and is leading us.

      Further details will appear soon at www.itsee.bham.ac.uk/conferences.htm

      If you are interested in attending, please contact Dr Helen Ingram (h.ingram@...
      ). If anybody is interested in offering any other presentation on this
      MS (especially the codicology/palaeography) we can provide an advance
      link to the digital images.

      For anybody who is thinking also of attending the Codex Sinaiticus
      conference, we are looking at providing transport from London to
      Birmingham on the Tuesday evening.

      With best wishes,
      Hugh Houghton