Re: [textualcriticism] Extant mss

  • Daniel B. Wallace
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2009
      Last summer, the INTF determined that there were at that time 5555 extant GNT MSS. This is about 200 shy of the sums of the four categories of Gregory-Aland MSS. The reason for the differences are (1) some MSS are part of others, only discovered later; (2) some MSS were originally misclassified (e.g., as a minuscule), then later classified differently (say, as a lectionary), but the first number was not then deleted from the list; (3) some MSS have gone missing; (4) very few have been determined to be other than bona fide NT MSS (e.g., talismans or patristic commentaries, such as Patmos Ioannou 59 and 60, originally classified as GNT MSS).

      Sincerely,

      Daniel B. Wallace, PhD
      Executive Director
      www.csntm.org