RE: [textualcriticism] Septuagint as Christian Scripture

  • James Spinti
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 7, 2005
      Here is the latest that I am aware of:

      "The Use of the Septuagint in New Testament Research"
      by R. Timothy McLay
      Eerdmans, 2003
      xiv + 207 pages, English, Paper
      ISBN: 0802860915
      List Price: $30.00
      "McLay explains the use of the Septuagint in the New Testament by looking in
      depth at actual New Testament citations of the Jewish Scriptures. This work
      reveals the true extent of the Septuagint's impact on the text and theology
      of the New Testament." --from the back of the book.

      Hope that helps.

      James Spinti
      Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
      Eisenbrauns, Specializing in Ancient Near Eastern and Biblical Studies
      jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
      Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
      Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
      Fax 574-269-6788
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 7, 2005
        Dear Martin,

        In addition to what Spinti posted you might what to direct your
        question(s) to Dr. Robert Kraft at:

        With best regards,

        Malcolm

        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "K. Martin Heide"

      • Steve Puluka
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 7, 2005
          K. Martin Heide wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > can anybody give a hint / recent literature how far the actual
          > discussion is on the topic of the Septuagint (LXX)
          > in relation to the New Testament:

          The relationship of the Septuagint to the New Testament and the early
          church is still an open question. This is mainly because the issue of
          text form in the Old Testament is a post-reformation problem. So there
          is just very little concern about Hebrew or Greek in the early
          centuries. In fact, the Orthodox still really haven't made a definitive
          choice in text, just in book lists.

          I'm just a student myself, but here's a reading list anyway.

          Here are some recent books on the topic:

          The first Bible of the church : a plea for the Septuagint. Mogens
          Müller. Sheffield, Eng. : Sheffield Academic Press, 1996.

          The Greek and Hebrew Bible : collected essays on the Septuagint. Emanuel
          Tov. Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 1999.

          Invitation to the Septuagint. Karen H. Jobes and Moisés Silva. Grand
          Rapids, Mich. : Baker Academic, 2000.

          The library in Alexandria and the Bible in Greek. Nina L. Collins.
          Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2000.

          The Septuagint as Christian scripture : its prehistory and the problem
          of its canon. Martin Hengel. Edinburgh : T & T Clark, 2002

          These are older, but still good and worth a look in my view.

          The Bible and the Greeks, C.H.Dodd. London, Hodder & Stoughton 1935

          The Septuagint and modern study. Sidney Jelicoe. Oxford, Clarendon P., 1968.

          Studies in the Septuagint: origins, recensions, and interpretations;
          selected essays, with a prolegomenon. Sidney Jelicoe. New York, Ktav
          Pub. House [1974]

          Introduction to the Old Testament in Greek. H.B. Swete. Cambridge
          University Press, 1900.

          Some aspects of the Greek Old Testament. J. Thackeray. London : George
          Allen & Unwin, 1927.

          --
          Steve Puluka
          Masters Student, SS Cyril & Methodius Seminary
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 8, 2005
            Dear Steve and Malcolm,

            thanx for all the hints and literature. I looked a little bit around myself
            to "auditur et altera pars". IMO, there is too much unreflected bias for the LXX
            (though it may well be, that in the last decades, it was the other way round and the
            Massoretic text was seen too much as the only representative of the OT).

            One of the most interesting studies seems to be Lundboms commentary on Jeremiah (Anchor Bible Series),
            where he shows again and again, that in Jeremiah the LXX is based often on a flawed Vorlage that has a lot of
            haplographies, and the Messoretic text is generally, though not always, to be preferred. (see also the SBL review
            for his commentary). I thought there are more studies like that around, going very much into detail etc.

            Martin