Septuagint as Christian Scripture

  • K. Martin Heide
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 6, 2005
      Hello,

      can anybody give a hint / recent literature how far the actual discussion is on the topic of the Septuagint (LXX)
      in relation to the New Testament:

      Some say, the LXX is THE bible of early Christianity (but Origen thought already different - see his hexapla- , and Jerome had a very different approach)

      some say, only in part, as the New Testament quotes are only in part (about 60%) quotes from the LXX,
      the rest is from the Massoretic text or from / similar to other texts like Qumran etc.

      some say, the whole issue has to do with the missionary approach of the early church:
      the LXX was the popular version of the OT; nobody could argue without it, so that's the reason
      why it was widely quoted in the NT.

      etc...

      Martin
    • James Spinti
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 7, 2005
        Here is the latest that I am aware of:

        "The Use of the Septuagint in New Testament Research"
        by R. Timothy McLay
        Eerdmans, 2003
        xiv + 207 pages, English, Paper
        ISBN: 0802860915
        List Price: $30.00
        "McLay explains the use of the Septuagint in the New Testament by looking in
        depth at actual New Testament citations of the Jewish Scriptures. This work
        reveals the true extent of the Septuagint's impact on the text and theology
        of the New Testament." --from the back of the book.

        Hope that helps.

        James Spinti
        Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
        Eisenbrauns, Specializing in Ancient Near Eastern and Biblical Studies
        jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
        Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
        Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
        Fax 574-269-6788
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

      • mjriii2003
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 7, 2005
          Dear Martin,

          In addition to what Spinti posted you might what to direct your
          question(s) to Dr. Robert Kraft at:

          With best regards,

          Malcolm

          --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "K. Martin Heide"

        • Steve Puluka
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 7, 2005
            K. Martin Heide wrote:
            > Hello,
            >
            > can anybody give a hint / recent literature how far the actual
            > discussion is on the topic of the Septuagint (LXX)
            > in relation to the New Testament:

            The relationship of the Septuagint to the New Testament and the early
            church is still an open question. This is mainly because the issue of
            text form in the Old Testament is a post-reformation problem. So there
            is just very little concern about Hebrew or Greek in the early
            centuries. In fact, the Orthodox still really haven't made a definitive
            choice in text, just in book lists.

            I'm just a student myself, but here's a reading list anyway.

            Here are some recent books on the topic:

            The first Bible of the church : a plea for the Septuagint. Mogens
            Müller. Sheffield, Eng. : Sheffield Academic Press, 1996.

            The Greek and Hebrew Bible : collected essays on the Septuagint. Emanuel
            Tov. Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 1999.

            Invitation to the Septuagint. Karen H. Jobes and Moisés Silva. Grand
            Rapids, Mich. : Baker Academic, 2000.

            The library in Alexandria and the Bible in Greek. Nina L. Collins.
            Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2000.

            The Septuagint as Christian scripture : its prehistory and the problem
            of its canon. Martin Hengel. Edinburgh : T & T Clark, 2002

            These are older, but still good and worth a look in my view.

            The Bible and the Greeks, C.H.Dodd. London, Hodder & Stoughton 1935

            The Septuagint and modern study. Sidney Jelicoe. Oxford, Clarendon P., 1968.

            Studies in the Septuagint: origins, recensions, and interpretations;
            selected essays, with a prolegomenon. Sidney Jelicoe. New York, Ktav
            Pub. House [1974]

            Introduction to the Old Testament in Greek. H.B. Swete. Cambridge
            University Press, 1900.

            Some aspects of the Greek Old Testament. J. Thackeray. London : George
            Allen & Unwin, 1927.

            --
            Steve Puluka
            Masters Student, SS Cyril & Methodius Seminary
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 8, 2005
              Dear Steve and Malcolm,

              thanx for all the hints and literature. I looked a little bit around myself
              to "auditur et altera pars". IMO, there is too much unreflected bias for the LXX
              (though it may well be, that in the last decades, it was the other way round and the
              Massoretic text was seen too much as the only representative of the OT).

              One of the most interesting studies seems to be Lundboms commentary on Jeremiah (Anchor Bible Series),
              where he shows again and again, that in Jeremiah the LXX is based often on a flawed Vorlage that has a lot of
              haplographies, and the Messoretic text is generally, though not always, to be preferred. (see also the SBL review
              for his commentary). I thought there are more studies like that around, going very much into detail etc.

              Martin