Re: [textualcriticism] Corrector to Sinaiticus

  • sarban
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 4, 2005
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon@...>
      To: <textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, February 04, 2005 1:03 PM
      Subject: Re: [textualcriticism] Corrector to Sinaiticus

      > Tischendorf thought there were 4 scribes but Milne and Skeat identified 3,
      > all contemporaries of the same scribal school., only one of which is a
      good
      > speller. Because of the poor spelling and omissions, as many as NINE
      > correctors have worked on the text from the time of its completion up to
      the
      > 12th century. The most extensive corrections were made in the 7th century
      > but these were groups of correctors called alpha c.a and alpha c.b and
      alpha
      > c.a revised the entire mss.

      The late 6th/early 7th century corrections appear to have occurred
      when Sinaiticus was at Caesarea.

      Are those corrections to Revelation in Sinaiticus which agree
      with the text of Andrew of Caesarea, attributed to this corrector
      or to an earlier 4th century corrector ?

      My manuals appear to disagree on this point.

      Andrew Criddle
    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 4, 2005
        >> Tischendorf thought there were 4 scribes but Milne and Skeat identified
        >> 3,
        >> all contemporaries of the same scribal school., only one of which is a
        > good
        >> speller. Because of the poor spelling and omissions, as many as NINE
        >> correctors have worked on the text from the time of its completion up to
        > the
        >> 12th century. The most extensive corrections were made in the 7th
        >> century
        >> but these were groups of correctors called alpha c.a and alpha c.b and
        > alpha
        >> c.a revised the entire mss.
        >>
        > The late 6th/early 7th century corrections appear to have occurred
        > when Sinaiticus was at Caesarea.
        >
        > Are those corrections to Revelation in Sinaiticus which agree
        > with the text of Andrew of Caesarea, attributed to this corrector
        > or to an earlier 4th century corrector ?
        >
        > My manuals appear to disagree on this point.
        >
        > Andrew Criddle

        It is my understanding that Scribe A wrote Revelation but Scribe D wrote the
        first five verses and rewrote pages where Scribe A made mistakes. This
        would have been the original 4th century fellers.

        Jack