Re: Deliberate Blank Space and Why It Is There

  • Daniel
    Message 1 of 45 , May 7, 2009
      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "James Snapp, Jr." wrote:
      > In Codex L there is a blank space after John 7:52, but the blank space is not large enough to contain the PA. Do you think the scribe might have been replicating some leftover space, maybe at the end of the first volume of a two-volume copy of John, rather than indicating an awareness of a textual variant?<

      When we study the topic of blank spaces deliberately left in a ms, we keep coming back to the PA. W has an unusual blank space between John and Luke that may have been left for the PA--or might it be a relic of W's exemplar in which the gospels ended at John?

      Delta is an intersting study in blank spaces. Delta's scribe left a blank space for a variant reading that s/he:
      1) Later appears to have filled in from another exemplar (Mark 9:29);
      2) Never did end up filling in (Mark 10:19);
      3) Remembered was supposed to be there only after writing the rest of the line omitting it(PA).

      At John 7:52, Delta reads, on the fifth line of page 348:
      EGEIRETAI. PALIN. OUN.AUTOIS O _IS_.ELALHSEN LEGWN.
      But then the scribe stops before even reaching the margin, lines out all but the first word, and, leaving the entire rest of the page blank (with an asterisk at the front of the last line), starts back up at the top of page 349 with:
      PALIN.OUN AUTOIS O _IS_.ELALHSEN LEGWN.EGW.EIMI.TO.FWS.
      (with an obelus taking the place of the second EST above ELALHSEN!)

      images here:
      http://www.e-codices.unifr.ch/en/csg/0048/167/medium
      http://www.e-codices.unifr.ch/en/csg/0048/170/medium
      http://www.e-codices.unifr.ch/en/csg/0048/348/medium

      Another explanation, I suppose, is that Delta's scribe had heard of the PA's existence at the end of a book of the gospels, and was therefore replicating the corpus-ending blank space in that hypothetical exemplar.

      Daniel Buck
    • Daniel
      Message 45 of 45 , May 7, 2009