Re: B's Deliberate Blank Space and Why It Is There

  • James Snapp, Jr.
    Message 1 of 45 , May 6, 2009
      Dear Dr. Wallace:

      I agree that TCers should know what you wrote. That's why I mentioned the link to Google Books where a generous portion of the "Perspectives" book is available to read, and cited a large part of the portion you just presented, back in post #4694.

      You wrote, "Some other explanation for the long gap at the end of Tobit thus must be sought for," and the explanation is ready at hand: Scribe A stops writings at the end of Tobit; the blank space after Tobit is merely leftover space. As I mentioned earlier, Wieland Willker mentions the change of scribes at his website about Codex B; see also pp. 87-90 of Milne & Skeat.

      You wrote, "It could be countered that after 2 Esdras, the Psalms begin and thus a new section of the OT created the gap; and since they are laid out in two columns they would have to begin on a new page." Exactly, the pages are ruled differently, so Psalms (written in double columns) could not begin on the same page on which 2 Esdras (in triple columns) ends.

      You wrote, "All in all, the reasons for the gaps are anything but clear, which makes arguments based on the supposition that the scribes of Aleph and B knew of the LE or even the intermediate ending tentative at best."

      But the premise that the reasons for the gaps are "anything but clear" is FALSE. I have explained those reasons and anyone can see the factors that elicited the gaps in the OT-portion of B: a change of copyists, a shift from the 2-column format to the 3-column format, and the end of the OT. These are all merely "seams" that resulted naturally from the way in which the MS was produced. But none of those mechanisms explains the blank space in B after Mk. 16:8.

      Here again are those five questions:

      (1) Why would an exemplar with a remarkably pure Alexandrian text have
      the Gospels in the "Western" order? What MSS with a strongly Alexandrian text would you point to as evidence that MSS existed in the early 300's with the Gospels in an order in which Mark appeared last?

      (2) If the scribe of B was using an exemplar of the four Gospels, why
      would he regard blank space at the end of it as anything unusual, instead of seeing it as the same sort of blank space that is likely to appear after the end of any MS' text?

      (3) If the scribe of B was using an exemplar that had the four Gospels
      followed by Acts, then if he *had* somehow interpreted filler-space after Mark as a feature worth replicating, why wouldn't he place the
      filler-space between the end of the Gospels and the beginning of Acts, instead of between Mark and Luke?

      (4) Why would a copyist who did not replicate his exemplar's book-order replicate a blank space in his exemplar by moving it from a space *after* the Gospels to a place between Mark and Luke?

      (5) In Codex L there is a blank space after John 7:52, but the
      blank space is not large enough to contain the PA. Do you think the
      scribe might have been replicating some leftover space, maybe at the end of the first volume of a two-volume copy of John, rather than indicating an awareness of a textual variant?

    • Daniel
      Message 45 of 45 , May 7, 2009
        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "James Snapp, Jr." wrote:
        > In Codex L there is a blank space after John 7:52, but the blank space is not large enough to contain the PA. Do you think the scribe might have been replicating some leftover space, maybe at the end of the first volume of a two-volume copy of John, rather than indicating an awareness of a textual variant?<

        When we study the topic of blank spaces deliberately left in a ms, we keep coming back to the PA. W has an unusual blank space between John and Luke that may have been left for the PA--or might it be a relic of W's exemplar in which the gospels ended at John?

        Delta is an intersting study in blank spaces. Delta's scribe left a blank space for a variant reading that s/he:
        1) Later appears to have filled in from another exemplar (Mark 9:29);
        2) Never did end up filling in (Mark 10:19);
        3) Remembered was supposed to be there only after writing the rest of the line omitting it(PA).

        At John 7:52, Delta reads, on the fifth line of page 348:
        EGEIRETAI. PALIN. OUN.AUTOIS O _IS_.ELALHSEN LEGWN.
        But then the scribe stops before even reaching the margin, lines out all but the first word, and, leaving the entire rest of the page blank (with an asterisk at the front of the last line), starts back up at the top of page 349 with:
        PALIN.OUN AUTOIS O _IS_.ELALHSEN LEGWN.EGW.EIMI.TO.FWS.
        (with an obelus taking the place of the second EST above ELALHSEN!)

        images here:
        http://www.e-codices.unifr.ch/en/csg/0048/167/medium
        http://www.e-codices.unifr.ch/en/csg/0048/170/medium
        http://www.e-codices.unifr.ch/en/csg/0048/348/medium

        Another explanation, I suppose, is that Delta's scribe had heard of the PA's existence at the end of a book of the gospels, and was therefore replicating the corpus-ending blank space in that hypothetical exemplar.