Re: [textualcriticism] 2 Quotes from M. Black

  • Eddie Mishoe
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5 3:30 PM
      Mitch:

      1.Principles valid for the textual restoration of Plato or Aristotle
      >cannot be applied to sacred texts such as the Gospels (or the Pauline
      >Epistles).

      Of course there are only 7 Platonic mss available. That would be one reason. And I wonder if Dr. Black might be taking into consideration the presumed religious convictions of scribes of sacred texts versus the secular scribe who would presume to have less of a bias. I doubt that could be supported, but it would seem to be a default assumption if you ask me.

      >2. We cannot assume that it is possible by a sifting of 'scribal errors'
      >to arrive at the prototype or autograph text of the Biblical writer.

      Wittgenstein has said (if I may paraphrase) that there are no genuine disputes, only vague and undefined terms. My assumption is that "sifting of scribal errors" would be Black's way of saying "textual criticism methodology." Thus, this quote needs far more data [context] before any answer could be given outside of speculative.

      Eddie Mishoe
      Pastor