Re: [textualcriticism] Corrector to Sinaiticus

  • Peter Head
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 4 6:51 AM
      Milne & Skeat, Scribes and Correctors of Codex Sinaiticus.

      Also thre was a dissertation done at Birmingham some few years back on some
      aspect fo the correctors of Sinaiticus. You could probably email David
      Parker for details.

      At 09:05 PM 2/3/05, you wrote:

      >Greetings,
      >
      >In my files I have a note that the corrector for Aleph was a seventh
      >century hand. Does
      >this ring any bells for anyone? Has anyone written on the dating of the
      >Aleph corrector?
      >
      >Michael
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Peter M. Head, PhD
      Tyndale House
      36 Selwyn Gardens Phone: (UK) 01223
      566607
      Cambridge, CB3 9BA Fax: (UK) 01223 566608
    • Peter Head
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 4 7:02 AM
        >Malcolm wrote:

        >One thing to remember is that the identification of correctors hands is
        >exceptionally subjective and tenuous at best.

        I don't think this is very helpful. There is no point having a general rule
        when it will absolutely depend on the particularities of the manuscript.
        Even if (w.r.t. Sinaiticus) one might affirm that the identification of
        correctors hands is exceptionally DIFFICULT and entails the exercise of
        personal judgement; it would not follow that the process was 'tenuous',
        just that one's personal judgements must be tested against the observations
        and arguments of other people who have studied them. Indeed it is not
        equally difficult at every point (identifying correctors for Ephraimi
        Rescriptus, now that must be difficult).

        Peter

        Peter M. Head, PhD
        Tyndale House
        36 Selwyn Gardens Phone: (UK) 01223
        566607
        Cambridge, CB3 9BA Fax: (UK) 01223 566608
      • malcolm robertson
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 4 9:19 AM
          Dear Peter,

          I suppose it would be best to qualify my use of tenuous(*) as my own subjective appraisal of the identification of correctors by others.  Nevertheless, the subjective appraisal of the objective observation still - at least if only to my way of seeing it - is "more or less"(c1) tenuous as far as subjective inferences from the alledged objective data indicate.  If you wish to use difficult instead of tenuous - of course be my guest.  The two factors - objective and subjective - are both variables in the equation that can and oft do prove both difficult and tenuous.

          With best regards,

          Malcolm

          Peter Head <pmh15@...> wrote:

          >Malcolm wrote:

          >One thing to remember is that the identification of correctors hands is
          >exceptionally subjective and tenuous at best.

          I don't think this is very helpful. There is no point having a general rule
          when it will absolutely depend on the particularities of the manuscript.
          Even if (w.r.t. Sinaiticus) one might affirm that the identification of
          correctors hands is exceptionally DIFFICULT and entails the exercise of
          personal judgement; it would not follow that the process was 'tenuous',
          just that one's personal judgements must be tested against the observations
          and arguments of other people who have studied them. Indeed it is not
          equally difficult at every point (identifying correctors for Ephraimi
          Rescriptus, now that must be difficult).

          Peter

          Peter M. Head, PhD
          Tyndale House
          36 Selwyn Gardens                                       Phone: (UK) 01223
          566607
          Cambridge, CB3 9BA                                      Fax: (UK) 01223 566608

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • sarban
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 4 10:57 AM
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 4 8:26 PM
              >> Tischendorf thought there were 4 scribes but Milne and Skeat identified
              >> 3,
              >> all contemporaries of the same scribal school., only one of which is a
              > good
              >> speller. Because of the poor spelling and omissions, as many as NINE
              >> correctors have worked on the text from the time of its completion up to
              > the
              >> 12th century. The most extensive corrections were made in the 7th
              >> century
              >> but these were groups of correctors called alpha c.a and alpha c.b and
              > alpha
              >> c.a revised the entire mss.
              >>
              > The late 6th/early 7th century corrections appear to have occurred
              > when Sinaiticus was at Caesarea.
              >
              > Are those corrections to Revelation in Sinaiticus which agree
              > with the text of Andrew of Caesarea, attributed to this corrector
              > or to an earlier 4th century corrector ?
              >
              > My manuals appear to disagree on this point.
              >
              > Andrew Criddle

              It is my understanding that Scribe A wrote Revelation but Scribe D wrote the
              first five verses and rewrote pages where Scribe A made mistakes. This
              would have been the original 4th century fellers.

              Jack