RE: [textualcriticism] Doctrines, Difficulties, and NTTC

  • Bart Ehrman
    Message 1 of 45 , Apr 26, 2009
      Jim,

         I don't have time to deal with each and every one of your criticisms.  Let me just say that it is never fair to criticize an author for the publisher's blurb on the book, since this is not something the author wrote and is used by the publisher to get readers.  I am well aware that the doctrine of the deity of Christ is not going to change because there are variants that affect it.

         On your other criticisms, which reflect many that I hear from other evangelical textual critics, I'd simply say first that I thought long and hard about having extended discussions on unimportant and uninteresting matters, such as the difference between OUTW and OUTWS, moveable nu, itacism, and so on, but thought that for a book of this kind, it really didn't make sense.  Substantial issues are where is called for.  If you disagree with any of hte substantial discussions of the book, or about any of my discussions of leading textual scholars (Mills, Tischendorf, Hort and so on) or of major textual issues (the variants I discuss), maybe we could talk about those?

           I really *don't* think textual criticism is brain surgery, and if you think that the only option to letting people more widely know about it is to keep them completely ignorant about it (by *not* writing a book about it for non-experts) then I think that is a point at which you and I very seriously disagree.  Everyone, of course, is free to write their own book, stressing the points they think are really the important ones.

      -- Bart Ehrman

      Bart D. Ehrman
      James A. Gray Professor
      Department of Religious Studies

      Message 45 of 45 , May 7, 2009
        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "James Snapp, Jr." wrote:
        > In Codex L there is a blank space after John 7:52, but the blank space is not large enough to contain the PA. Do you think the scribe might have been replicating some leftover space, maybe at the end of the first volume of a two-volume copy of John, rather than indicating an awareness of a textual variant?<

        When we study the topic of blank spaces deliberately left in a ms, we keep coming back to the PA. W has an unusual blank space between John and Luke that may have been left for the PA--or might it be a relic of W's exemplar in which the gospels ended at John?

        Delta is an intersting study in blank spaces. Delta's scribe left a blank space for a variant reading that s/he:
        1) Later appears to have filled in from another exemplar (Mark 9:29);
        2) Never did end up filling in (Mark 10:19);
        3) Remembered was supposed to be there only after writing the rest of the line omitting it(PA).

        At John 7:52, Delta reads, on the fifth line of page 348:
        EGEIRETAI. PALIN. OUN.AUTOIS O _IS_.ELALHSEN LEGWN.
        But then the scribe stops before even reaching the margin, lines out all but the first word, and, leaving the entire rest of the page blank (with an asterisk at the front of the last line), starts back up at the top of page 349 with:
        PALIN.OUN AUTOIS O _IS_.ELALHSEN LEGWN.EGW.EIMI.TO.FWS.
        (with an obelus taking the place of the second EST above ELALHSEN!)

        images here:
        http://www.e-codices.unifr.ch/en/csg/0048/167/medium
        http://www.e-codices.unifr.ch/en/csg/0048/170/medium
        http://www.e-codices.unifr.ch/en/csg/0048/348/medium

        Another explanation, I suppose, is that Delta's scribe had heard of the PA's existence at the end of a book of the gospels, and was therefore replicating the corpus-ending blank space in that hypothetical exemplar.