Corrector to Sinaiticus

  • Michael Theophilos
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 3, 2005
      Greetings,

      In my files I have a note that the corrector for Aleph was a seventh century hand. Does
      this ring any bells for anyone? Has anyone written on the dating of the Aleph corrector?

      Michael
    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 4, 2005
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 4, 2005
          Dear Michael,

          Apart from K. and B. Aland, The Text of the New Testament (Eerdmans, 2nd ed., 1989) p. 108
          I know of none.  Aland identifies only three correctors (see Jack Kilmon's post for possible additional ones et opt cit there).  They are Aleph 1 (4th-6th cent.); Aleph 2 (ca. 7th cent.); and Aleph c (12th cent).

          One thing to remember is that the identification of correctors hands is exceptionally subjective and tenuous at best.

          With best regards,

          Malcolm

          Michael Theophilos <michael.theophilos@...> wrote:

          Greetings,

          In my files I have a note that the corrector for Aleph was a seventh century hand.  Does
          this ring any bells for anyone?  Has anyone written on the dating of the Aleph corrector?

          Michael

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • D Jongkind
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 4, 2005
            The obvious place to go to is of course H.J.M. Milne and T.C. Skeat,
            Scribes and correctors of the Codex Sinaiticus (London: British Museum,
            1938). They tell you all there is to know about the identification of
            the scribal hands and the correctors.

            Cheers,
            Dirk Jongkind
          • Peter Head
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 4, 2005
              Milne & Skeat, Scribes and Correctors of Codex Sinaiticus.

              Also thre was a dissertation done at Birmingham some few years back on some
              aspect fo the correctors of Sinaiticus. You could probably email David
              Parker for details.

              At 09:05 PM 2/3/05, you wrote:

              >Greetings,
              >
              >In my files I have a note that the corrector for Aleph was a seventh
              >century hand. Does
              >this ring any bells for anyone? Has anyone written on the dating of the
              >Aleph corrector?
              >
              >Michael
              >

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

              Peter M. Head, PhD
              Tyndale House
              36 Selwyn Gardens Phone: (UK) 01223
              566607
              Cambridge, CB3 9BA Fax: (UK) 01223 566608
            • Peter Head
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 4, 2005
                >Malcolm wrote:

                >One thing to remember is that the identification of correctors hands is
                >exceptionally subjective and tenuous at best.

                I don't think this is very helpful. There is no point having a general rule
                when it will absolutely depend on the particularities of the manuscript.
                Even if (w.r.t. Sinaiticus) one might affirm that the identification of
                correctors hands is exceptionally DIFFICULT and entails the exercise of
                personal judgement; it would not follow that the process was 'tenuous',
                just that one's personal judgements must be tested against the observations
                and arguments of other people who have studied them. Indeed it is not
                equally difficult at every point (identifying correctors for Ephraimi
                Rescriptus, now that must be difficult).

                Peter

                Peter M. Head, PhD
                Tyndale House
                36 Selwyn Gardens Phone: (UK) 01223
                566607
                Cambridge, CB3 9BA Fax: (UK) 01223 566608
              • malcolm robertson
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 4, 2005
                  Dear Peter,

                  I suppose it would be best to qualify my use of tenuous(*) as my own subjective appraisal of the identification of correctors by others.  Nevertheless, the subjective appraisal of the objective observation still - at least if only to my way of seeing it - is "more or less"(c1) tenuous as far as subjective inferences from the alledged objective data indicate.  If you wish to use difficult instead of tenuous - of course be my guest.  The two factors - objective and subjective - are both variables in the equation that can and oft do prove both difficult and tenuous.

                  With best regards,

                  Malcolm

                  Peter Head <pmh15@...> wrote:

                  >Malcolm wrote:

                  >One thing to remember is that the identification of correctors hands is
                  >exceptionally subjective and tenuous at best.

                  I don't think this is very helpful. There is no point having a general rule
                  when it will absolutely depend on the particularities of the manuscript.
                  Even if (w.r.t. Sinaiticus) one might affirm that the identification of
                  correctors hands is exceptionally DIFFICULT and entails the exercise of
                  personal judgement; it would not follow that the process was 'tenuous',
                  just that one's personal judgements must be tested against the observations
                  and arguments of other people who have studied them. Indeed it is not
                  equally difficult at every point (identifying correctors for Ephraimi
                  Rescriptus, now that must be difficult).

                  Peter

                  Peter M. Head, PhD
                  Tyndale House
                  36 Selwyn Gardens                                       Phone: (UK) 01223
                  566607
                  Cambridge, CB3 9BA                                      Fax: (UK) 01223 566608

                  Do you Yahoo!?

                • sarban
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 4, 2005
                    > Tischendorf thought there were 4 scribes but Milne and Skeat identified 3,
                    > all contemporaries of the same scribal school., only one of which is a
                    good
                    > speller. Because of the poor spelling and omissions, as many as NINE
                    > correctors have worked on the text from the time of its completion up to
                    the
                    > 12th century. The most extensive corrections were made in the 7th century
                    > but these were groups of correctors called alpha c.a and alpha c.b and
                    alpha
                    > c.a revised the entire mss.

                    The late 6th/early 7th century corrections appear to have occurred
                    when Sinaiticus was at Caesarea.

                    Are those corrections to Revelation in Sinaiticus which agree
                    with the text of Andrew of Caesarea, attributed to this corrector
                    or to an earlier 4th century corrector ?

                    My manuals appear to disagree on this point.

                    Andrew Criddle
                  • Jack Kilmon
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 4, 2005
                      >> Tischendorf thought there were 4 scribes but Milne and Skeat identified
                      >> 3,
                      >> all contemporaries of the same scribal school., only one of which is a
                      > good
                      >> speller. Because of the poor spelling and omissions, as many as NINE
                      >> correctors have worked on the text from the time of its completion up to
                      > the
                      >> 12th century. The most extensive corrections were made in the 7th
                      >> century
                      >> but these were groups of correctors called alpha c.a and alpha c.b and
                      > alpha
                      >> c.a revised the entire mss.
                      >>
                      > The late 6th/early 7th century corrections appear to have occurred
                      > when Sinaiticus was at Caesarea.
                      >
                      > Are those corrections to Revelation in Sinaiticus which agree
                      > with the text of Andrew of Caesarea, attributed to this corrector
                      > or to an earlier 4th century corrector ?
                      >
                      > My manuals appear to disagree on this point.
                      >
                      > Andrew Criddle

                      It is my understanding that Scribe A wrote Revelation but Scribe D wrote the
                      first five verses and rewrote pages where Scribe A made mistakes. This
                      would have been the original 4th century fellers.

                      Jack