Re: [textualcriticism] Freer Gospels (W 032)

  • Timothy Arthur Brown
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 2, 2005
      Hi Michael,

      After responding to your question about published photographs, I reread
      your message and noticed that you also asked about transcriptions.

      Bruce Prior and I are working on full transcriptions and collations of
      two of the Washington MSS at this moment -- The Gospels MS, about which
      you've inquired, and the Deuteronomy/Joshua MS. Both transcriptions are
      scheduled for publication by the 2006 SBL meetings in Washington, DC.

      These transcriptions follow the layout of the original manuscripts
      closely. We have even taken pains to measure and represent the spaces
      which the scribe has often used to separate phrases. Word spacing has
      been added for clarity, however, and whenever it has been necessary to
      use editorial judgments, an explanation appears in the footnotes.

      T. A. Brown
      Franconia, New Hampshire USA

      Michael Theophilos wrote:

      > Does anyone know if there are published photographs of the 5th C
      > Freer Gospels? Or for that matter, diplomatic transcriptions? I
      > would be interested to
      > know where Timothy Arthur Brown obtained the pics of the colophon in
      > Mt, Lk and Jn.
      >
      > Kind regards
      >
      > Michael
      > Oxford, UK.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > Children International
      >
      > Would you give Hope to a Child in need?
      >
      > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129d9aif1/M=332618.5923862.6999529.2152211/D=groups/S=1706113926:HM/EXP=1107360452/A=2535374/R=0/SIG=142trf8s4/*http://children.780net.com/qry/CICHildselect.taf?_function=childSearch&ETTFMRS_BHST_ID=872&s=f&hostName=Children%20International>
      >

      > · Click Here to meet a Girl
      > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129d9aif1/M=332618.5923862.6999529.2152211/D=groups/S=1706113926:HM/EXP=1107360452/A=2535374/R=1/SIG=142trf8s4/*http://children.780net.com/qry/CICHildselect.taf?_function=childSearch&ETTFMRS_BHST_ID=872&s=f&hostName=Children%20International>
      > And Give Her Hope
      >

      > · Click Here to meet a Boy
      > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129d9aif1/M=332618.5923862.6999529.2152211/D=groups/S=1706113926:HM/EXP=1107360452/A=2535374/R=2/SIG=1424c63em/*http://children.780net.com/qry/CICHildselect.taf?_function=childSearch&ETTFMRS_BHST_ID=871&s=m&hostName=Children%20International>
      > And Change His Life
      >
      > Learn More
      > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129d9aif1/M=332618.5923862.6999529.2152211/D=groups/S=1706113926:HM/EXP=1107360452/A=2535374/R=3/SIG=1424c63em/*http://children.780net.com/qry/CICHildselect.taf?_function=childSearch&ETTFMRS_BHST_ID=871&s=m&hostName=Children%20International>

    • mr.scrivener
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 7 2:02 AM
        --------------------
        Dear Mr. Brown:

        In this message (last year), you mentioned publishing transcriptions
        of Codex W, as well as a possible new Facsimile edition available on
        disk by the '2006 SBL Meetings..'. Well, its June 2006, and I was
        wondering how your projects are coming along.

        ----------------------
        Also, is anyone aware of the following website, which claims to have
        discovered 'seals' or 'signatures' of the scribes who wrote Codex W
        (the Gospel mss)?

        http://www.washington-codex.org/woodard_kodex_article_1.htm

        Although the site makes many wild claims, and dates the Gospel Codex
        W too early, surely just the existance of these 'seals' at the
        beginning and end of each gospel in the codex require a thorough
        investigation and proper explanation.

        Any ideas?

        Curiosity is killing me here...
        Eeyore

        ------------------------------
        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Timothy Arthur Brown
        <t.a.brown@...> wrote:

        > Hi Michael,
        >
        > After responding to your question about published photographs, I
        reread
        > your message and noticed that you also asked about transcriptions.
        >
        > Bruce Prior and I are working on full transcriptions and collations
        of
        > two of the Washington MSS at this moment -- The Gospels MS, about
        which
        > you've inquired, and the Deuteronomy/Joshua MS. Both
        transcriptions are
        > scheduled for publication by the 2006 SBL meetings in Washington,
        DC.

        > These transcriptions follow the layout of the original manuscripts
        > closely. We have even taken pains to measure and represent the
        spaces
        > which the scribe has often used to separate phrases. Word spacing
        has
        > been added for clarity, however, and whenever it has been necessary
        > use editorial judgments, an explanation appears in the footnotes.
        >
        > T. A. Brown
        > Franconia, New Hampshire USA

      • Peter M. Head
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 7 2:45 AM

          >Also, is anyone aware of the following website, which claims to have
          >discovered 'seals' or 'signatures' of the scribes who wrote Codex W
          >(the Gospel mss)?
          >
          >http://www.washington-codex.org/woodard_kodex_article_1.htm
          >
          >Although the site makes many wild claims, and dates the Gospel Codex
          >W too early, surely just the existance of these 'seals' at the
          >beginning and end of each gospel in the codex require a thorough
          >investigation and proper explanation.

          Yes this is a fantastic discovery.

          Peter M. Head, PhD
          Tyndale House
          36 Selwyn Gardens
          Cambridge CB3 9BA
          01223 566601
        • Peter M. Head
          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 7 2:45 AM
            OED: Fantastic:

            Existing only in imagination; proceeding merely from imagination;
            fabulous, imaginary, unreal (obs.). b. In mod. use, of alleged
            reasons, fears, etc.: Perversely or irrationally imagined.

            Peter M. Head, PhD
            Tyndale House
            36 Selwyn Gardens
            Cambridge CB3 9BA
            01223 566601
          • George F Somsel
            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 7 3:20 AM
              It WOULD BE fantastic. if true.  The question is whether these claims can be independently verified by others.  When I encounter rather extreme claims, it tends to taint my ablity to put much credence in the rest of what is said therein.  I would say that it is first necessary for a recognized scholar to look at the evidence and either confirm or debunk these claims.

              ___________

              "Peter M. Head" <pmh15@...> wrote:

              >Also, is anyone aware of the following website, which claims to have
              >discovered 'seals' or 'signatures' of the scribes who wrote Codex W
              >(the Gospel mss)?
              >
              >http://www.washingt on-codex. org/woodard_ kodex_article_ 1.htm
              >
              >Although the site makes many wild claims, and dates the Gospel Codex
              >W too early, surely just the existance of these 'seals' at the
              >beginning and end of each gospel in the codex require a thorough
              >investigation and proper explanation.

              Yes this is a fantastic discovery.

              Peter M. Head, PhD
              Tyndale House
              36 Selwyn Gardens
              Cambridge CB3 9BA
              01223 566601

              george
              gfsomsel
              _________

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Peter Williams
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 7 3:42 AM
                It's a fantastic phantasm.

                George:

                >It WOULD BE fantastic. if true.
                >
                >"Peter M. Head" <pmh15@...> wrote:
                >>
                >>Yes this is a fantastic discovery.

                ------------
                Peter Williams
                Senior Lecturer in New Testament
                Deputy Head of School of Divinity, History and Philosophy
                University of Aberdeen
                p.j.williams@...
              • George F Somsel

                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 7 6:47 AM
                    The web site looks like an attempt to push an agenda more than a place where evidence would be presented that would be reliable (as seen in the diatribe against a school in Oklahoma).  While the claim may need to be examined, I would think a more adequate answer could be found in the presentations at SBL on Codex W this November, where several studies of the ms. are being presented.

                    paz,

                    Bill Warren

                    --------------------

                    <t.a.brown@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Michael,
                    >
                    > After responding to your question about published photographs, I
                    reread
                    > your message and noticed that you also asked about transcriptions.
                    >
                    > Bruce Prior and I are working on full transcriptions and collations
                    of
                    > two of the Washington MSS at this moment -- The Gospels MS, about
                    which
                    > you've inquired, and the Deuteronomy/Joshua MS. Both
                    transcriptions are
                    > scheduled for publication by the 2006 SBL meetings in Washington,
                    DC.

                    > These transcriptions follow the layout of the original manuscripts
                    > closely. We have even taken pains to measure and represent the
                    spaces
                    > which the scribe has often used to separate phrases. Word spacing
                    has
                    > been added for clarity, however, and whenever it has been necessary
                    > use editorial judgments, an explanation appears in the footnotes.
                    >
                    > T. A. Brown
                    > Franconia, New Hampshire USA

                    =
                  • Tommy Wasserman
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 7 7:12 AM
                      I have come across a large number of scribal peculiarities through the
                      years. Here are two which someone might help me with:

                      1) in an MS the final AMHN (in Jude) is written backwards on three
                      lines:

                      HN

                      Has anyone seen anything similar?

                      2) In some minuscule MSS there is a sign in the margin, •/•, plus a
                      reading. I interpret the sign as an "obelus periestigmenos." The
                      question is whether this sign has the same function over time, i.e. in
                      the early uncials and in the minuscules, respectively. In short, I am
                      not sure if it unequivocally refers to a correction of the text (or
                      might be a reference to an alternative reading).

                      Any ideas?

                      With regards

                      Tommy Wasserman
                      Centre for Theology and Religious Studies
                      Lund University
                      Sweden
                    • Timothy Arthur Brown
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 7 9:11 AM
                        Hello,

                        Bruce Prior and I are in the process of finishing up pre-press work on the Freer Gospels transcription now.  You can expect to see an edition available at this year's SBL annual meeting in Washington, DC.  The new images I alluded to are, as far as I know, still intended for public release this November as well.  The newest images are those taken by the Freer/Sackler photography department and I think it's safe to assume that this image library will be published by the Freer/Sackler Gallery itself.

                        And now concerning Woodard's "Kodex W". . . Bruce and I first learned of Woodard's theories a couple of years ago.  The claims are wild, but we agreed that such claims, regardless how unbelievable, ought not be automatically rejected simply because they do not conform to our current understanding of the manuscript.  We had at our disposal the tools and access necessary to examine these claims, so we decided to do so.  We were in contact with Lee Woodard by phone and by e-mail and we each had a copy of his book.  Becoming thus fully informed of his claims, we examined high resolution images of the relevant parts of the codex and were unable to substantiate any of Woodard's theories.  Since this examination, I have had opportunity to access the original at the Freer Gallery and must still conclude that Woodard's ideas are without merit.

                        Sincerely,

                        ------------ --------

                        ------------ --------- -

                        ------------ --------- ---------

                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 7 9:51 AM
                          What about the alleged upside down Aramaic text.  Is there anything there to which he might refer or is this made up out of whole cloth?

                          _____________

                          ------------ --------

                          <t.a.brown@. ..> wrote:

                          > Hi Michael,
                          >
                          > After responding to your question about published photographs, I
                          reread
                          > your message and noticed that you also asked about transcriptions.
                          >
                          > Bruce Prior and I are working on full transcriptions and collations
                          of
                          > two of the Washington MSS at this moment -- The Gospels MS, about
                          which
                          > you've inquired, and the Deuteronomy/ Joshua MS. Both
                          transcriptions are
                          > scheduled for publication by the 2006 SBL meetings in Washington,
                          DC.

                          > These transcriptions follow the layout of the original manuscripts
                          > closely. We have even taken pains to measure and represent the
                          spaces
                          > which the scribe has often used to separate phrases. Word spacing
                          has
                          > been added for clarity, however, and whenever it has been necessary
                          > use editorial judgments, an explanation appears in the footnotes.
                          >
                          > T. A. Brown
                          > Franconia, New Hampshire USA

                          george
                          gfsomsel
                          _________

                          http://mail.yahoo.com

                        • Kent Clarke
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 7 12:55 PM
                            Re: [textualcriticism] Re: Freer Gospels (W 032) I saw that one coming Peter...hahaha

                            Kent

                            Kent D. Clarke (Ph.D. Bristol)
                            Associate Professor of Religious Studies
                            Department of Religious Studies
                            Seal-Kap House
                            Trinity Western University
                            7600 Glover Road
                            Langley, BC
                            V2Y 1Y1
                            Canada

                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 7 1:27 PM
                              Dear George,

                              Bruce and I were unable to substantiate even a single one of Woodard's claims.

                              ------------ --------

                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 7 2:03 PM
                                Greetings Mr Wasserman:

                                I have two leads for you:

                                (1) the Jude inscription looks painfully like the Egyptian practice
                                found in 'Christian Magic' amulets and small scrolls. I suggest you
                                start with the two following books as an introduction to the subject:

                                Ancient Christian Magic (Coptic texts of ritual power) Edited by
                                Meyer & Smith (Harper Collins 1994), and

                                Medicine, Miracle & Magic in NT Times by H.C. Kee.(Cambridge UP 1986-
                                1990)

                                Also useful might be:
                                Paganism & Christianity 100-425 C.E. A Sourcebook Macmullen & Lane

                                The writing of religious texts backwards or in patterns was very
                                common throughout Egypt and the Aegean in the period.

                                (2) Studying Vaticanus I have come to the conclusion that the 'NT'
                                Obelisk (the one you describe is a lemniscus =dot/dot)has a variety
                                of uses but mostly as a generic indicator of an accidental omission
                                corrected in the margin. there is a good introduction to the changes
                                in meaning over periods and places here:

                                http://www.christianforums.com/t2994963-asterisk-and-obelus-three-
                                different-usages.html

                                --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Tommy Wasserman <tomwas@...>
                                wrote:

                                > I have come across a large number of scribal peculiarities through
                                the
                                > years. Here are two which someone might help me with:
                                >
                                > 1) in an MS the final AMHN (in Jude) is written backwards on three
                                > lines:
                                >
                                > HN
                                >
                                > Has anyone seen anything similar?
                                >
                                > 2) In some minuscule MSS there is a sign in the margin, •/•, plus a
                                > reading. I interpret the sign as an "obelus periestigmenos." The
                                > question is whether this sign has the same function over time, i.e.
                                in
                                > the early uncials and in the minuscules, respectively. In short, I
                                am
                                > not sure if it unequivocally refers to a correction of the text (or
                                > might be a reference to an alternative reading).
                                >
                                > Any ideas?
                                >
                                > With regards
                                >
                                > Tommy Wasserman
                                > Centre for Theology and Religious Studies
                                > Lund University
                                > Sweden

                              • mr.scrivener
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 7 2:08 PM
                                  Dear Mr. Brown:

                                  Thank you for your prompt reply:
                                  However, you seem to have left an ambiguity -
                                  Mr Woodward's ideas may be without merit,
                                  but are the marks just dust specks, imperfections in the photos,
                                  or actual scribal scribbles, whatever their meaning?
                                  Could you clarify?

                                  Still perplexed,

                                  <t.a.brown@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                  transcriptions
                                  > > of Codex W, as well as a possible new Facsimile edition available
                                  on
                                  > > disk by the '2006 SBL Meetings..'. Well, its June 2006, and I was
                                  > > wondering how your projects are coming along.
                                  > >
                                  > > ----------------------
                                  > > Also, is anyone aware of the following website, which claims to
                                  have
                                  > > discovered 'seals' or 'signatures' of the scribes who wrote Codex
                                  > > (the Gospel mss)?
                                  > >
                                  > > http://www.washington-codex.org/woodard_kodex_article_1.htm
                                  > > <http://www.washington-codex.org/woodard_kodex_article_1.htm>
                                  > >
                                  > > Although the site makes many wild claims, and dates the Gospel
                                  Codex
                                  > > W too early, surely just the existance of these 'seals' at the
                                  > > beginning and end of each gospel in the codex require a thorough

                                • Jack Kilmon
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 7 3:22 PM
                                    > Existing only in imagination; proceeding merely from imagination;
                                    > fabulous, imaginary, unreal (obs.). b. In mod. use, of alleged
                                    > reasons, fears, etc.: Perversely or irrationally imagined.

                                    I think the word is used more often now in its colloquial shift meaning
                                    "excellent" or good beyond expectation.

                                    Jack Kilmon
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jun 8 2:59 AM
                                      Tommy Wasserman wrote:
                                      > 2) In some minuscule MSS there is a sign in the margin, •/•,
                                      > plus a reading.

                                      I think in Vaticanus it represents a correction.

                                      In Vaticanus also exists a wavy sign (vertical ~) which might indicate an explanation of some kind:
                                      http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/Vaticanus/dittographies.html
                                      (image on the right)

                                      Just for completeness sake, in Vaticanus also another sign appears once:
                                      http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/Vaticanus/wordorder.html

                                      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
                                    • Tommy Wasserman
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jun 8 7:44 AM
                                        mr.scrivener wrote:

                                        > Greetings Mr Wasserman:
                                        >
                                        > I have two leads for you:
                                        >
                                        > (1) the Jude inscription looks painfully like the Egyptian practice
                                        > found in 'Christian Magic' amulets and small scrolls.

                                        Thank you mr. scrivener (is that your real name?). Sorry I was not
                                        clear - the MS in question is a medieval Greek continuous-text
                                        minuscule with no other signs of "magic" use whatsoever, a subject of
                                        which I am otherwise quite familiar with.

                                        > I suggest you
                                        >
                                        > (2) Studying Vaticanus I have come to the conclusion that the 'NT'
                                        > Obelisk (the one you describe is a lemniscus =dot/dot)has a variety
                                        > of uses but mostly as a generic indicator of an accidental omission
                                        > corrected in the margin. there is a good introduction to the changes
                                        > in meaning over periods and places here:

                                        I found the following information about the symbol in "Transformed Into
                                        His Image" in Grace Theological Journal 2.2 (Fall 1981) 230-31 which
                                        made me hesitat to equal the function to that in the early uncials:

                                        A partial explanation of the symbol is given by Diogenes
                                        Laertius (iii, 66). He names and describes the use of various signs in a
                                        text of Plato; in regard to this sign he says: "the obelos
                                        periestigmenos is for random
                                        rejections (of passages)." Nowhere has ↓ been found among literary
                                        papyri of Classical
                                        authors.

                                        The use of both signs, however, is frequent in Biblical and
                                        Christian papyri. Codex Sinaiticus and Codex Vaticanus demonstrate
                                        the frequent use of both signs, sometimes together and sometimes
                                        separately, but always where a correction has been made. When
                                        used together, ↓ stands in the margin and •/•. marks the precise place
                                        in
                                        the line for the correction.

                                        Henry A. Sanders notes the use of •/•. in some biblical manuscripts
                                        dated to the fourth or early fifth century, marking the location
                                        of the omission and then repeated in the margin giving the words to
                                        be supplied.

                                        An exact parallel to P.Rob. inv. 28 is described in P. Tura, where ↓
                                        and •/•. stand together in the margin at the beginning of the part to be
                                        supplied.

                                        A somewhat later function of •/• is described by Isidore (A.D. 602-
                                        36), bishop of Seville (1.21): Lemniscus, id est, virgula inter geminos
                                        punctos jacens, opponitur in his locis, quae sacrae Scripturae
                                        interpretes
                                        eadem sensu, sed diversis sermonibus transtulerent, "The
                                        lemniscus, that is a stick lying between two points, is placed in those
                                        places which the interpreters of Holy Scriptures transcribe in the
                                        same sense, but with different expressions."

                                        end of citation

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jun 8 8:12 AM
                                          Hello,

                                          The claims that Woodard makes are so numerous that a full response would require more attention than his ideas deserve.  To answer you generally, some of what Woodard is seeing is offset, that is, ink which has cross-printed from the facing page; in other instances he is reading things into mere stains in the parchment; sometimes he's attributing special significance to the quite typical scribal decorations of a colophon; and he even finds minute hidden messages in the ragged shapes of letters that have suffered the effects of time and use.

                                          I hope it is clear that Bruce Prior and I investigated Woodard's claims because we feel responsible to consult secondary sources in our work and, for the sake of thoroughness, needed to make a careful, open-minded examination of Woodard's work as well.  As it turns out, Woodard's work proved unworthy of the time we invested in it.

                                          If you would like more detail, you could purchase Woodard's book (though I dislike the idea of giving him undue encouragement) and then purchase the new set of images which will hopefully be made available before the end of the year.  This will enable you to examine his claims yourself.

                                          Yours sincerely,