Re: [textualcriticism] GNT Statistics Resource

  • Jovial
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 14 4:15 PM
      I don't disagree with you - I'm simply pointing out that a raw count of the number of variants does not provide much info on the nature and measure of them.  At the same time, without some sort of standard method on how to measure "what percentage of agreement in content is there", I'm not saying there's an easy solution either.

      Joe

      From: Jovial <jovial@comcast. net>
      To: textualcriticism@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Tuesday, April 14, 2009, 8:18 AM

      (((((((((((( ((((((((( ((((((((( (((((((((
      Luke 23.17, 60 variants
      Matt 5.44 (2nd variant), 38 variants (in 1,488 mss)
      Rom 11.6, 28 variants (in 608 mss)
      1 Cor 2.4, 30 variants (in 620 mss)
      Gal 5.1, 58 variants (in 628 mss)

      I think I see now where the 300,000 to 500,000 variants come from. The
      average number of variants per verse is 50, times the roughly 8,000 verses.
      Voila.
      )))))))))))) ))))))))) ))))))))) )))))))))

      38 isolated , single variants in Mat 5:44 in 1,488 MSS would still be 97.5%
      agreement. IF we actually classified this as calculated percentage
      agreement/disagreem ent in content, ignoring non-translatable spelling
      variants, that metric would skyrocket. Not to say variants aren't
      signfiicant - none of us would be here if they weren't. I'm just trying to
      interject that this is not a full fledged measurement. We need to measure
      this in a balanced way. This sounds like it's being measured so as to drive
      the stats up as far as possible and spin the issue to make it look like
      variants run wild all over the place.

      Joe