Re: Pseudonymity or Pseudepigrapha

  • torahman6
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 14, 2009
      Eddie,

      From an Old Testament perspective, you might consider the writings of Qohelet. The book is not pseudonymous per se (he never refers to himself as Solomon), but the writer is certainly trying give that impression (e.g. melek yisrael, benay dawid).

      Considering the socio-historical context observed from the book alone (its difficult to place it historically, but much can be learned simply from the text), a voice like Qohelet's would likely never gain any credibility. Put as a "royal fiction," (not just my opinion, but also the opinion of several critical scholars) however, the result of its canonization into biblical material speaks for itself.

      In short, then, what I am saying is that I think one reason for writing a pseudopigraphical work is for credibility and validation of the message.

      Rob Kashow
      ThM candidate
      Dallas Theological Seminary