Recension or Process?

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2009
      Tommy Wasserman posted the SBL 2009 textual criticism program:

      http://evangelicaltextualcriticism.blogspot.com/2009/04/sbl-2009-annual-meet
      ing-preliminary.html

      Especially interesting I found this one:

      Dr. Klaus Wachtel, University of Muenster
      The Byzantine Text of the Gospels: Recension or Process?

      I am wondering what his argumentation will be. I am not sure, so far he
      promoted a continuous development model, but this is based on the Catholic
      Letters only, where the situation is quite different to the Gospels. This
      model avoids the problem of an insufficiently attested recension. But is has
      the new problem to explain the rather abrupt appearance of a text in the
      late 3rd/early 4th CE which had already about 80-90% of the known Byzantine
      readings.
      In the Gospels I still think that some kind of recension best explains the
      evidence, which created the base text of A, K, Pi etc. with about 75-90% of
      all Byzantine readings. But this is an extremely difficult question, which
      needs much more study.

      Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
      mailto:wie@...
      http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/