Re: Variant reading vs Variant unit

  • tvanlopik
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 9, 2009
      Of course it is possible to define about variant units, but the problem is that editors/composers of a textcritical apparatus are free to decide about the content of the unit. For example the lesson of the present Thursday of this Holy Week, 'Washing the Diciples'Feet', John 13,10. In TGNT/UBS4, 1993, the variant unit (nr.3 in the chapter) is: |ouk eichei chreian ei m^e tous podas nipsasthai|. I count a dozen variant readings. In NA 27, 1993 there are two units: |eichei chreian| and |ei m^e tous podas nipsasthai|. To make a big jump in history: in Griesbach/Schulz, 1827, are two units: |ou chreian eichei| and |^e tous podas nipsasthai|. Nota bene in NA27 is the Byzantine |ou| in stead of |ouk| out of sight, so not in the first unit.
      I wonder at the cling to the idea of making rules for variant units to achieve more grip on the material.

      Teunis van Lopik
      Leidschendam, The Netherlands