Re: [textualcriticism] 70,000 significant variants and the NA text

  • Mitch Larramore
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 9, 2009
      Ron:

      Can you give me an example or two of variants that you did not count that you think Funk may have counted? I think this will clear things up for many of us struggling with variant units vs variant readings. And if it was a (different) variant, why did you not count it?

      Mitch Larramore
      Sugar Land, Texas

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 11, 2009
        The number 70,000 significant variants in the Greek New Testament sounds about right to me. And that number does not arise from a full accounting and collation of all Greek manuscripts of the New Testament.

        One need only look at Hoskier's collation of 300 Apocalypse of John manuscripts, and see what a full collation of all available manuscripts looks like. Basically, every new paragraph in Hoskier's volume No. 2 is a variant, and there are additional variants within most of the larger of the paragraphs. It is conservative to say that there are 15,000 variants in Revelation alone. Are they significant variants? Yes, many more of them than listed in the NA27 are significant for purposes of TC and genealogy, etc. Not all are significant for establishment of doctrine, true enough, and most of them are not translatable into English. But they are variants.

        Revelation I think has more variants to its text as a percentage of words than some other NT books, but if someone declared that there are 250,000 textual variants in the Greek New Testament, I wouldn't raise an eyebrow or object at all.

        David Robert Palmer

        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Mitch Larramore <mitchlarramore@...> wrote:

        > To what is the Nestle-Aland compared in order to yield 70,000 significant variants? I am mystified by this number. There are probably some issues in this quote that are off-topic for this site, so please remember that I am only asking how this number 70,000 was attained.

      • kanakawatut
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 12, 2009
          I have Tommy Wasserman's complete collation of all Greek manuscripts of the epistle of Jude, and it shows a little less than 1,300 variants in the 25 verses of Jude.

          That comes to at least 51 variants per verse.

          If extrapolated to the 7,950 verses of the entire Greek New Testament, that comes to 405,450 variants.

          This I am sure is not exact, but it gives one a good estimate to start with.

          I think it is safe to say there are at least 200,000 variants in the Greek New Testament.

          David Robert Palmer