Secret Mark letter handwriting

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2009
      Roger Viklund has done an analysis of the handwriting of the
      "Secret Mark" letter to Theodore (supposed to be) by Clement
      of Alexandria.

      http://www.jesusgranskad.se/theodore.htm

      His last sentence of the conclusion:
      "I therefore suggest that the scribe was an elderly person
      writing in the eighteenth century."

      mailto:wie@...
      http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
      Textcritical Commentary:
    • Stephen C. Carlson
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2009
        On Apr 3, 2009 3:57 AM, Wieland Willker <wie@...> wrote:
        >Roger Viklund has done an analysis of the handwriting of the
        >"Secret Mark" letter to Theodore (supposed to be) by Clement
        >of Alexandria.
        >
        >His last sentence of the conclusion:
        >"I therefore suggest that the scribe was an elderly person
        >writing in the eighteenth century."

        As I state in my book (p. 31), although old age can account
        for the shakiness of some of the lines, it does not account
        for the fine motor control in retouching the letters. This
        is what my expert handwriting analyst told me. (The scribe's
        ability to maintain the margins are also a sign of fine motor
        control.) He thinks he cannot see the retouching (which my
        expert pointed out to me). Some of it may be a question of
        interpretation, but part of the problem with Viklund's analysis
        is that he is totally reliant on the color photos which have
        a larger grain size and are less clear than the black and
        white photos.

        Stephen Carlson

        --
        Stephen C. Carlson