Re: Not manuscripts

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2005
      > Yes it gets some kind of support and I would take it as
      > a witness (of sorts) to a text of Luke 2.25 which read
      > EUSEBHS; but there are a few problems: it is not a
      > direct quote, has other paraphrastic tendencies and
      > doesn't actually use the simple word EUSEBHS!

      Right. It reads the superlative EUSHBHSTATOS.
      Here are two images from Zias:
      http://www.joezias.com/JoeZiasWebsite1_files/image001.jpg

      http://www.joezias.com/JoeZiasWebsite1_files/image007.jpg
      (I hope he didn't daub the real tomb but only the image)

      > NB. I haven't seen the Greek text of this inscription
      > published,

      I don't know of a publication either. I am interested in his dating. I
      once had a little webpage on it, but Zias reacted rather unpleased. Here
      is the text:

      1 o qafos sumewn os hn
      2 dikaiotatos anqrwp[os
      3 kai ghr[w]n eushbhstatos
      4 kai paraklhsin [tou
      5 laou
      6 prosdec[omenos

      The inscription is EXTREMELY difficult to make out. It is basically
      impossible from photos.

      Regarding a possible "Non-continuous biblical text list", it is
      important to be clear what to include. I think everything should be
      included that has a possible relevance for the textual history of the
      biblical text. Anyone?
      :-)

      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de