Re: [textualcriticism] Order of Pauline Epistles

  • malcolm robertson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2005
      Mr. Spinti,

      The "fixing" of the order of the canonical writings as we know them was due more to the invention and use of the printing press - a fact you will appreciate - than any other factor that I could imagine.  Codex Alexandrinus, for example has the order of the four Gospels, Acts, James, 1,2 Peter, 1,2,3, John etc.  Others different.  If there were a "fixing" prior to Luther it probably was the influence of the Latin Vulgate of Hieronymus.

      With best regards,

      Malcolm

      James Spinti <jspinti@...> wrote:

      Greetings,

      Over the weekend I was reading a book which stated that the current order of
      the Pauline epistles was fixed by Luther.  This struck me as incorrect.  I
      know that the order in the various codices varies, but thought it had been
      fixed much earlier than Luther.  Could someone please either direct me to a
      source that would have the answer, or enlighten me.

      Thank you very much.

      James Spinti
      Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
      Eisenbrauns, Specializing in Ancient Near Eastern and Biblical Studies
      jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
      Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
      Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
      Fax 574-269-6788

      Do you Yahoo!?

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2005
        > Over the weekend I was reading a book which stated
        > that the current order of the Pauline epistles was fixed
        > by Luther. This struck me as incorrect.

        Luther moved Hebrews from its place between Thessalonians and Timothy to
        the end of the Pauline epistles because he had doubts about its
        canonicity. He also moved James more to the end.

        mailto:willker@...-bremen.de