Re: [textualcriticism] Initial and Archetype

  • Eddie Mishoe
    Message 1 of 33 , Feb 28, 2009

      The vast majority of evangelical scholars do not agree with Ehrman on his assumptions about the differences between the Original and Archetype.

      Add to this the pioneering work by Dr. Thomas showing no literary interdependence among the synopitc gospel writers, where he concludes: "Based on observational facts regarding all fifty-eight sections of triple-tradition, this study has found that only sixteen percent of the words in those sections
      are identical in all three Gospels. That is far fewer than would have been identical if the writers had engaged in copying from one another or had functioned as copyists
      of each other’s Gospels. That in itself is sufficient to conclude that they worked independently of each other’s writings."

      Only 16 percent agreement! And yet, some still hold today some form of literary interdependence. Read his article; he actually lists all these 'triple-traditions' (places where Matt, Mark, and Luke have the same event). And the 16 percent is compared against a very important benchmark: OT quotations.

      When two Gospel writers quote the same LXX passage, they agree closer to 70 percent. SO, in places where we know the gospel writes are quoting the same passage/material, their agreement is around 70 percent. When they are quoting from the same event in the life of Christ, oddly enough, they agree with each other closer to 15 to 20 percent. This huge gap is difficult to explain.

      Thomas has shown mathematically that the gospel writers were not plagiarizing each others' work, but I still think they were using common sources. Even though they don't use the same wording in common pericopes, the order of pericopes seems to imply common sources from which each slightly departed. This data also, as far as I can tell, does away with Marcan priority, or anyone's priority. There is just no measurable dependence on each other.

      Finally, I think it is overly speculative to say that the gospels were anonymous. I find it near impossible that Matthew, for example, wrote this gospel and then secretly put it in circulation. I think first century contemporaries knew that he wrote this gospel. As it was being delivered, I suspect the deliverers were bringing these gospels to important Christian hubs with the statement that "This account of Jesus was written by Matthew." Would not someone first ask who wrote this when being handed an anonymous scroll of such import. I keep arguing that people were the same then and now.

      Eddie Mishoe
    • tvanlopik
      Message 33 of 33 , Mar 21, 2009
        Further investigation of quotations of and allusions to the NT text in 1Clem as provided in the Codex Alexandrinus (A) is welcome. But is to optimistic to consider the job can be finished quickly. Of course it is possible to compare the parallels of the NT text of A with the text in 1Clem as is provided in the text and apparatus of Funk/Bihlmeyer/Schneemelcher´s Die Apostolischen Vaeter, 1970. On pp. 154-157 the quotions and allusions are indexed. But there is more.

        The question is to investigate the assimilation or harmonization in A of the text of Clemens with the NT text in the mind of the scribe. Otherwise: are the NT quotations of 1Clem in A from 95 AD or perhaps changed by the scribe(s) of A in the 5th century.

        First of all we need to know more about the scribes of A. According to Kenyon there are five: two of the OT and three of the NT. According to Milne and Skeat: two of the OT and one of the NT. 1Clem and 2Clem are written by the scribe of the second part of the OT. (Kenyon/Adams, Der text der griechischen Bibel, 1961, pp. 41, 64; Kenyon/Adams, Our Bible an the ancient manuscripts, 1958, pp. 121, 199)

        Determination of the harmonizing or assimilating activities in A, especially by the scribe of 1Clem, will be served by comparison of the NT quotations in 2Clem (145 AD), but also the quotations in the NT of OT texts (LXX) as provided in A should be involved in the investigation. Already a lot is done in the field of NT quotations of the LXX text in general. E.g., see: Michel, Der Brief an die Hebraeer, 1975 (Meyer's Komm.), pp. 151-158.(By the way on A: pp. 156-157, bibliography on pp. 157-158.)

        Funk/Bihlmeyer, p. XI mentions: The New Testament in the Apostlic Fathers by a Committee of the Oxford Society of Historical Theology, Oxford 1905. That work, also referred to by Vogels, Handbuch der neutestamentlichen Textkritik, 1923, p. 153, is I suppose a 'must' for the scholar who want to investigate the NT quotations of 1Clem in A.

        Teunis van Lopik
        Leidschendam, the Netherlands